What could I use the dGPU for if I don't game or edit videos?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GP20, Mar 9, 2014.

1. GP20 macrumors member

I returned my previous rMBP because of a couple of issues. I'm buying another rMBP 15 and I'm having a hard time deciding if I need the dGPU.

I never game, and I never edit videos or 3D animations. I use a lot of photoshop and watch a lot of videos (downloaded, streaming from Time Capsule, and youtube, as well as MLB TV which has to use Flash) and hook up the computer to my TV everyday. When I got my last rMBP 15, I purposely ordered one without the dGPU because I didn't wanna deal with the hassles of switching between Iris Pro and the dGPU. But is there any circumstance that the dGPU is actually useful to me?

Does the dGPU make Handbrake transcoding faster?

I'm trying to convince myself to maybe get the dGPU since it'd be a free upgrade to me. But aside from it reducing the battery time and being another part that could fail one day, can I actually benefit from having a dGPU?

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Only NVidia can render faster using CUDA...if the program supports it.

3. magamo macrumors 6502

No. The current version of Handbreak doesn't use a GPU. The beta version does for downscaling on Windows, though.

Photoshop CS6 seems to support GPU acceleration. But I don't use Photoshop very often myself, and don't know how useful it would be to you.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Do any programs you use have CUDA enabled? If not, there's really no point.

5. GP20 thread starter macrumors member

I don't think any of the programs I use uses CUDA. Even for photoshop, I'm getting by just fine without the dGPU. I've used gxCardStatus, and don't like how I have to manual switch every time I restart or every time it's hooked up to the TV.

I guess I'm really only looking for an excuse for me to justify getting the dGPU. Can a dGPU run a 4K display at 60hz?

6. chrfr macrumors 603

I can't really offer advice as to whether or not you need the dGPU, but be aware that there is at least one configuration of the 15" rMBP that is the same price whether or not it has the dGPU, so shop carefully. You may be able to get the dGPU for "free."

7. kathyricks macrumors 6502

This video should help you decide between the base model 8/256 15" (part#ME293LL/A) with Iris Pro Graphics and the 16/512 model (part#ME294LL/A) with Iris Pro plus the Nvidia GT750 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4rgL9dW7mw

8. GP20, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014

GP20 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I was aware I could get the dGPU for free.:D I'm getting exactly a 2.3Ghz / 16GB / 512GB SSD. But still deciding whether, since I still don't think I would benefit from a dGPU, it's actually a nuisance for me to have a dGPU.

Such a hard decision. I'm guess a dGPU does nada when just watching movie videos?

----------

How much faster/smoother is photoshop with the 750M?

I find it plenty fast enough with Iris Pro already. How would the 750M benefit in photoshop?

9. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

I have a 2.3 ghz/16 Gb/256 with Iris pro only.

I specifically didn't took the 750 because

* shelving out another 300€ i found too much
    * I want to discourage myself of playing games on it
    * there's no impact on photoshop or any other program. Only when you start using 2 4k screens or so or specific 3D software, you'll see the advantage of the 750.
    * the 'it's for free with a current setup' is not a good reason to take something.

that's my point of view :)

10. goMac macrumors 603

OpenCL on the Iris Pro is faster than CUDA on the 750m...

So if the software in question supports both OpenCL and CUDA, the Iris Pro is still the better choice...

11. Robyr macrumors regular

dGPU systems, historically, are bigger problem machines. A ton of failures of the nVidia / ATI notebooks, Apple included, but I never hear about an Intel based / integrated notebook dying without abuse,

12. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Do you have a list of these "ton of failures?" The last mass problem affecting manufacturers across the board was the GeForce 8600M GT from a few years ago.

13. chrfr macrumors 603

Apple's had problems with the GT330 in the mid 2010 15" MBPs, to the point that they issued a repair extension, and the 2011 MBPs seem to have a higher than normal amount of problems with the ATI GPU in those.

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

2010: GT330M failure (extended repair program available)
    2011: Radeon 6490M, 6750M and 6770M failure (no extended repair program available yet).

My 2011 15" MBP was one of those hit by Radeongate.