What could next iMac carry?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Poildecarotte, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Poildecarotte, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

Poildecarotte macrumors newbie

It is always a tough call with Apple's upcoming new products to guess what will show up. And like many needing a new destop I seek for some info.
    In your opinions, what is most likely to appear/disappear on the next iMac?
    Will the optical drive remain or not?
    Will USB 3 be standard?
    Will it run on Ivy Bridge processors?
    HDMI port?

2. Dillus macrumors member

The way I see it, you have to look to the new Macbook Pros to get an idea of what the iMac spec bump will include. Faster ivy bridge processors and USB 3.0 are certain to appear, as is a faster graphics unit. There have been rumors of a redesign, the loss of the DVD drive or a retina screen, but I find it very unlikely you will see that happen until sometime next year.

3. nec207 macrumors 6502

It not laptop so optical drive and ports is not problem with making some thing small .It is workstation not to take with you on go so ultra light thin like a laptop is not problem has it workstation not to take with you .

I'm sure it be i7 quad ivy bridge and 8 GB RAM it be silly not to .

4. Poildecarotte thread starter macrumors newbie

Would like it to remain an all in one computer, doesn't make sense to me to cut down cables from you desk for some time and having other ones turn up with an external optical drive. Just a thought.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Optical Drive? Probably. USB 3? Yes, Ivy Bridge? Yes. HDMI? Probably not.

6. Bendrix macrumors member

Do you guys think, if there is a 2012 update, that the baseline iMac will have an SSD upgrade option? If so, do you think it would still be in the $500 range for the dual SSD + HDD option?