What could the next iPad have?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cnguyen0320, Oct 15, 2012.

1. cnguyen0320 macrumors regular

What do you guys think? I'm not a fan of these rumor threads but I'm deciding between getting an iPad now or waiting 5 or 6 more months. I actually only see one very important change: Elongated screen so that it is 16:9. Now I'm not saying I approve or disapprove but it is the only change that'll make a huge difference. The others are just so small or a change in that department wouldn't warrant a new device.

Lightning isn't a must-need especially for those staying with iPhone 4 or 4S (or previous gen iPods)
    A better battery: 10 hours video on the current iPad is enough for even the most heavy users (provided you don't blast max brightness and you charge overnight).
    Thinner design: This would be great but not needed... The iPad is still lighter than most ultrabooks so its not like its weighing anyone down.
    A6(X) Processor: okay so its a little faster... The A6 didnt make the iPhone 5 dramatically faster other than bootup but how many of us actually shut off the iPad unless its out of battery? Speed may help with games but most of us arent playing high end games either.
    Heat: really not that big of an issue, its not like its burning you...

So what do you guys think? What could the iPad 4 have that makes it substantially better than the current iPad? Also what do you guys want to see?

Personally I'd like a "Surface-like" keyboard/smart-cover hybrid for the iPad but that would be an accessory. Also, this would a perfect reason to hold off on the iPad 4 and instead create an iPad mini in its place so that a year could go by and technology would become more advanced enough to warrant an iPad 4.

2. whitesand macrumors regular

My guess is the same as you've already stated...I don't currently have an Ipad but I would like one..Since a refresh or redesign is probably not to far off I'll wait for the next one.

Performance boost, possibly a variation of the A6...the iphone 5 feels very snappy to me coming off the 3g....

Most definitely thinner and lighter with the new in cell tech which might possibly allow battery life improvement...The form factor improvement would be the main selling point for me to wait.

Possibly speaker and microphone improvements.

And the new connector...Another reason I won't be purchasing the current ipad because this connector will probably be the standard for quite some time...

3. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Lightening is not an option, ALL new devices will use this connector.:rolleyes:

The cameras, battery and CPU may be updated. What else do we expect our mini to do. It will be tethered to iTunes just like the other devices and restricted from too much freedom.

4. pommie82 macrumors 6502

They will never change to much in the device its self because they have to put something in it the following year and so on they just don't want to run out of ideas.

This is what will happen next year at the event
    Better camera
    Bigger screen
    Thinner lighter maybe
    New chip

Thats about it

5. leukotriene macrumors regular

I'm expecting it to have the same camera tech as the iPhone 5...but who cares about that.

I think it'll also be significantly thinner and lighter, since the iPad 3 was a slight regression in that department. That would be nice. You can't underestimate how important weight and thinness is when talking about tablets. It's more important than weight/thinness of phones even.

Obviously it'll be faster too, but again who cares. I've never once wished by iPad 3 to be faster.

The wildcard: some kind of accessory improvement, like when they introduced the Smart Cover for the iPad 2, which made use of the integrated magnets in the tablet itself.

Other than that, what else can they do? The iPad is basically just a giant screen. If the screen is as good as it gets (retina), the only room left for improvement is speed, thinness, weight.

----------

Oh and a WILD wildcard:

A higher resolution digitizer that can accurately receive pen input from an innovative Apple-made stylus for drawing and writing. (Won't happen)

6. deaglecat macrumors 6502

7. waa1futs macrumors 6502

The main thing I think they have to work on is the profile. Right now it's too thick / heavy because of the retina display needing lots of battery & processing power.

Get a A6 variant in there + an IGZO display. The combination of these should reduce both heat & battery consumption... leading to a thinner possible iPad.

8. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't this be great. I'd be happy as a clam even without a built in pen slot like the Samsung Note or the hodge podge of Win 8 Tablets w/ Pen digitizer.

Since we are seeing Apple break their hard line on the smaller iPad, perhaps by next spring we will see them accept the benefits of having an active pen digitizer. Imagine how much the business sector would gobble these up. Win 8 who?