What could the next iPhone contain?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waywardsage, Sep 24, 2008.

1. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

I don't want this to be a thread where it degrades into insulting and complaining. I've just been thinking about what could the next iteration of the iPhone contain hardware wise that this one doesn't.

The only things I can think of are the following:

1. Larger Megapixel camera. Which leads me to this question: Could the current camera take video? Or is it completely impossible with the current hardware? Its it a software or hardware issue? Hard to believe i would be a hardware one, my crappy RAZR takes video.

2. MMS, but couldn't this just be a software update at some time?

3. Landscape keyboard typing. Not sure why this hasn't been done. Its a simple operation to program into the next OS update right?

4. Larger capacity, 32GB or 64GB. But at what size does it become difficult because you have too much junk on it? I have an 80GB iPod and its almost impossible to navigate through all my 40GB of music and 15GB of video. I find myself not using it because i have to hunt for a song for several minutes.

5. The video conferencing stuff is a bit far feched, it will be a long time before we see this i think. More like 4G wireless or Wimax.

Any other ideas?

2. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Hasn't this been discussed several times already?

For one thing, the camera is capable of recording video as shown by the video apps available after jailbreaking the phone.

3. gr8ful macrumors member

My guess is that the hardware side will slowly evolve over the next iterations: slightly better camera, larger capacities, more power efficient chips.

However, I fully expect the software to be where we see Apple really advance the platform:
    1) the obvious missing pieces (MMS, copy & paste, video capture).
    2) the game changers (mobile and web versions of iwork or just a web version accessible by browser, MobileMe idisk able to be accessed like a networked drive for the iphone, over-the-air syncing of all content on the phone, over-the-air streaming of your iTunes library to your iphone, and so on)

The iPhone is a "platform", want to see where Apple will take it? Look at the laptop. Whatever you can now do on your laptop will eventually be what you can do on your iPhone and other such "Touch" devices. :D

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

All incremental....

Higher Res Camera
    Video
    More Storage
    Bluetooth Stereo Audio

...a nifty little photo application that allows you to superimpose either Bill Gates' or Jerry Seinfeld's facial picture on someone else's body.