What could this sound be inside my unibody?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kronie, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I have a strange sound that my unibody has started to make. Every once in a while, maybe every few minutes? My unibody makes this chirping sound. It almost sounds like a bird outside in the trees. In fact for a while I thought is WAS a bird for a while.

Its hard to type a sound but its like a high pitched "dinit" just once and then its quiet for a while then...."dinit"

Its not effecting performance at all.

I did upgrade my stock drive to a 500 GB seagate a few months back but cant imagine how that would effect anything.

Any ideas?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I saw this discussed here before. I can't recall if it had to do with the hard drive.
    Happy reading.

3. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Thanks for the links.

I just got off the phone with our local Mac repair shop.

The tech told me (even before I told him what kind of drive I have) that the 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagates make a sound just like I have. Its the parking of their heads. I have the same drive.

He said I could also take the drive out and start the laptop and if its still making the sound then its obviously something else. Maybe a fan or possibly a speaker.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

What exact drive did you use?(500 GB seagate) did it have drop detection (sudden motion sensor or similar)
    Also - have you got all the Apple updates? The drive noise was in part resolved through an update they put out.

5. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Yea, its the Seagate Momentus. 500GB @7200 RPM. It does have drop detection, I think. That's another thing the tech said it may be. Maybe shake the laptop and see if it goes away?

My laptop is running the latest version of snow leopard and I upgraded the EFI. Its definitely the drive I put my ear to the laptop last night, waited and heard it.

6. Neo-Tech macrumors regular

If the drive does have drop detection, you should turn off Apple's Sudden Motion Sensor using Terminal, as if a drive already has drop protection, it'll conflict with the Apple one thus causing issues similar to yours.

:cool:

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Is that fact? There has been a lot of talk but with no concrete answer. I guess it could make sense but Apple has shipped those who ordered a 7200 RPM drive with G-Shock and I highly doubt those Mac's with the G-Shock drive have their motion sensor disabled by Apple which makes me believe that it shouldn't make a difference at all. Just doesn't make sense for Apple to do something that would conflict and to think Apple would do you a favor by disabling their motion sensor?