What CPU update before Broadwell?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by omnisphere, Oct 13, 2014.

1. omnisphere macrumors member

Is it possible for apple to make a silent CPU update before Q2 2015 and Broadwell? I mean, why not?

If so, what CPU can they use in iMac? Intel 4790, 4930, 4960???

I am going to buy a new iMac very soon but I can wait three weeks from now if some update is coming.

Apple should do a cpu update to iMac before Broadwell 2015, so they can attract new and existing customers.

What do you think?

;)

2. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

Silent update?

http://www.apple.com/live/

3. omnisphere thread starter macrumors member

So you think apple is going to update the iMac on the event? I don´t think so but who knows?

;)

4. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

5. airjay75 macrumors regular

We just don't know. The only concrete rumor that seems to exist is with regards to a new 27" retina iMac. There are a lot of websites saying there is going to be an update to the iMacs (plural) suggesting the whole line is going to be refreshed to some degree but as best I can tell, there are no concrete rumors on this - just speculation. At any rate, just a couple of days to go to find out.

6. omnisphere thread starter macrumors member

7. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

4790 on the top 27-inch model sure; the 4930K and 4960K chips are older Ivy Bridge-E processors, different sockets and everything, I wouldn't count on Apple to use them or even the newer Haswell-E ones (58/59xxK).

8. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

My guess is 4590, 4690, and 4790 will be used.

9. Truthfulie macrumors regular

The way I see it if you don't plan on getting the Retina iMac (if they in fact do get released), you'd be better off buying the 13 late Haswell version. The Haswell refresh doesn't bring much to the table and the difference in real world performance just isn't there. Perhaps it's another story if we are talking about K parts but there is no over-clocking with Macs. So if you are waiting purely for the sake of new CPU, I'd say wait but get 13 late to save money. (Like I said, this is only if your concern is on CPU not GPU or Retina display).