What = CTRL-ALT-Delete on a Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by davidlw, Aug 30, 2008.

1. davidlw macrumors 6502a

What =CTRL-ALT-Delete on a Mac, my desktop has locked up and I hate to push the power button.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

command+option+escape. ALternatively click the apple logo top left and press force quit.

It will state that an application is not responding. Force Quit that application.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

Of course, if the OS has frozen then Force Quit won't work. Holding the power button down is the only way to do it.

4. danny_w macrumors 601

Whenever I have seen the kernel panic screen it says something about powering off or pressing the reset button (or some such button). I have never seen such a button on a Mac. Does anybody know what the message is referring to?

5. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yes [​IMG] Hold it for a few seconds until the machine turns off. I normally wait a few seconds after powering it down before booting her up.

7. applebum macrumors 6502

Ignore the smart ### picture of the power button above. The old iMacs (G3) and maybe some other machines had an actual reset button in addition to the power button. It basically just shut the computer down and restarted it. It happened immediately, as opposed to having to hold the power button for several seconds.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

Thanks, I wan't even going to respond. I knew there must have been a reset button on some models.