What data is used in the middle of the night?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by macbook yes, Sep 24, 2012.

1. macbook yes macrumors 6502

Since upgrading to iOS 6 my phone has used large amount of data between 12 and 1 am, usually somewhere between 100-1000mb. What is my phone doing while I am sleeping to use up all of my data?

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Chances are, it isn't and that that's the time of the day when your carrier tallies and counts some of your day's usage.

3. kiwiboi87 macrumors 6502

4. jeffe macrumors 6502a

FWIW, Carrier can tally and count usage w/o contacting the phone.

5. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

My money also goes to icloud backp; have a look at the time stamp if it fit and let us know. Other linked services activated: iTunes music, photo stream ?

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

iCloud does it's daily backup at 12am providing the phone is plugged in, asleep and connected to WiFi.

That will be the culprit.

7. NEvolution macrumors regular

iCloud can only backup through WiFi. So it wouldn't be using your cellular data nevertheless.

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

True, but since the OP says they are sleeping at the time of the data usage, I figured the numbers were from their carrier usage itemize page... especially since they have such a specific time frame it occurs within.

Up to the minute usage is often just an estimate. At the end of the day, they likely do a true assessment and, if their estimates were low, they'd tack the difference on at that point.

As others have said, iCloud is also a possibility, but it's not supposed to back-up over cellular.

9. black743 macrumors 6502

I wonder if a bug has iCloud or iTunes Match backing up when they shouldn't?

10. pbateman macrumors 6502

x2 This is why, I was wondering the same thing a few years ago with my 3G...

11. jeans94621 macrumors regular

jeans94621

Go to settings and cellular data and you can choose what you want to transfer over your cellular data.