Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook yes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Since upgrading to iOS 6 my phone has used large amount of data between 12 and 1 am, usually somewhere between 100-1000mb. What is my phone doing while I am sleeping to use up all of my data?

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Chances are, it isn't and that that's the time of the day when your carrier tallies and counts some of your day's usage.

FWIW, Carrier can tally and count usage w/o contacting the phone.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
My money also goes to icloud backp; have a look at the time stamp if it fit and let us know. Other linked services activated: iTunes music, photo stream ?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
iCloud does it's daily backup at 12am providing the phone is plugged in, asleep and connected to WiFi.

That will be the culprit.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
FWIW, Carrier can tally and count usage w/o contacting the phone.

True, but since the OP says they are sleeping at the time of the data usage, I figured the numbers were from their carrier usage itemize page... especially since they have such a specific time frame it occurs within.

Up to the minute usage is often just an estimate. At the end of the day, they likely do a true assessment and, if their estimates were low, they'd tack the difference on at that point.

As others have said, iCloud is also a possibility, but it's not supposed to back-up over cellular.

jeans94621

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
Go to settings and cellular data and you can choose what you want to transfer over your cellular data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.