Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
By the time my local store opened at 9:00a, there were only 27 in queue. A genius came around and got everyone signed in and told us we were limited to 2. I was second in line and was first out the door with my 2.

Reactions: SHKLMRE

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Second at Apple Arrowhead Phoenix but despite the rest of the mall opening at 8am, they're opening at 10. The jerk security guard won't even let you stand near the store. This should be interesting. I saw about 6 others waiting.

EDIT: Walked away to comply and came back 10 minutes later and now I'm 8th in line. /sigh.

Last edited:

crazyitalian198

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2006
Chicago Lincoln park opened at 9 - fourth in line. Waited 30 minutes in 0 degrees. Line was close to 40 people. They turned people away. Got 2.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Got to the store at 8:55 for a 9am opening and there were about 8 people in front of me. When it came to my turn to go in they made me wait about 20 minutes and then told me they were sold out.:( I guess they didn't have too many in stock.

I'm trying again tomorrow...

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I have two Apple Store employees in line behind me so at least now I know there's no use in getting a job at the Apple Store to scarf gadgets early. :p:D

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
Manhattan Beach has at least 24 on the shelf. They just finished stocking them. 11 people in line

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Don't bother with Apple Arrowhead. They got like 14 in and every single person of course wanted to buy 2. I was at the cutoff point. Jan 12th it is for me I guess. :mad:

jsmitty

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
NC
First in line at 7:20 Northlake Charlotte
10 in line at open at 8 am
Would not disclose how many they had but said would sell out in 5 mins

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
I understand the marketing behind creating a "shortage" and even possibly by postponing the release without saying anything, but how do they ship so many to places that don't need them and so few to the places that do? I mean, I don't mind cause I am the former. We get flooded every year here in the Baltimore/DC area with Apple stuff it isn't even worth preordering anymore. Make it to the store usually in the first hour of open and you can get whatever the new toy is.

andcool69

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2011
Atlantic City NJ I was first in line and they had 6 come in. Limited to 1 per customer. Wife isn't going to be happy but I got mine!

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Atlantic City NJ I was first in line and they had 6 come in. Limited to 1 per customer. Wife isn't going to be happy but I got mine!

I wish every store had the same policy and limited one per person. I'd have gotten a pair this morning had they done that here in Phoenix.

kjparfekt

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Washington, DC
I understand the marketing behind creating a "shortage" and even possibly by postponing the release without saying anything, but how do they ship so many to places that don't need them and so few to the places that do? I mean, I don't mind cause I am the former. We get flooded every year here in the Baltimore/DC area with Apple stuff it isn't even worth preordering anymore. Make it to the store usually in the first hour of open and you can get whatever the new toy is.

Fairfax Apple store was limited one per person so the 20 or so waiting before the store opened could each get one. Unfortunately, based on the comments I've read it looks like quantity has varied greatly from store to store. Georgetown counted 2 minutes before opening then asked people if they wanted 1 once they got to a sales person but they let people get 2 if they asked. Most got 2 but I'm guessing they were out of them by 9:30.

If everyone put store locations with their comments it might help people thinking about trying again tomorrow.

mistermcnight

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2016
Does anyone know the stock status at the King of Prussia store? Able to get there on my lunch break but don't want to waste my time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.