Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
With so many reports of bad or substandard iMacs on this forum makes me worried I also got a lemon. So could anyone enumerate the items I should check for on the iMac I just unboxed?

Many thanks. Unboxing to follow. :)

Last edited:

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
If you don't go looking for problems, chances are that you won't find any.

For every one who reports a problem (real or imagined, significant or trivial) on this forum there are probably many others who use and / or enjoy their Mac without any issues.

gaddster

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
I believe this web page has the list of possible Imac defects...

Imac Defects

ha brilliant Tom, but I know what the OP feels like, rather then enjoying my first week with my new iMac I am looking for flaws etc.

to be fair, the only one I have found is that FCPX crashes and it seems to be something with the video card (ironic its apples own software!!)

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Tom let me clarify I am using a late 2012 iMac Core i7. So I am looking for problems specific to this model.

Thus far no defects and my HDD is a APPLE HDD ST1000DM003 and SSD is APPLE SSD SM128E.

According to the dealer I have 7 days to return this. So far I have 4 more days to go before I can get a straight replacement. After which Apple will only repair my iMac.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
Hexley...was just playing around :D

I would think for peace of mind with something as costly as a new Imac...applecare would be worth the price.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Hexley...was just playing around :D

I would think for peace of mind with something as costly as a new Imac...applecare would be worth the price.

I'll decide by the 12th month. :) Hopefully my forex improves a bit further

I am thankful that so many owners are writing in with there problems. It provides a checklist if what to look out for. :)

Last edited:

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2006
Tom let me clarify I am using a late 2012 iMac Core i7. So I am looking for problems specific to this model.

Thus far no defects and my HDD is a APPLE HDD ST1000DM003 and SSD is APPLE SSD SM128E.

According to the dealer I have 7 days to return this. So far I have 4 more days to go before I can get a straight replacement. After which Apple will only repair my iMac.

How much RAM do you have in it currently? I would test to make sure all 4 RAM slots are working when all filled. Mine seem to be having trouble doing this (i.e., only 2 are recognized as populated). To be fair, I have not seen other reports of this, but worth checking out if you can. I have a late 2012 27" i7.

crows

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2012
1. Yellow tint on the bottom half of the screen

2. Image retention on your screen

3. Particles under the glass

4. Scuffs on the surface of the aluminium

5. Noisy fans

6. Strange sounds from the fan or other parts

That's pretty much it, there are other problems but seem less likely. The obvious problems will be on the screen especially the yellow tint problem I have returned 2 times and still don't have my iMac, i'm waiting on the replacement.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The nature of modern electronics products is that they'll either fail almost immediately, or long after they were put into service. Essentially, if it doesn't blow up when you first plug it in, you'll be well past the first 7 days before something goes wrong (retailers wouldn't make that promise if there was a high probability of having to make good).

For example, it can be months before a sub-standard bearing in a fan or hard drive is going to create enough noise to be noticeable/measurable outside of a laboratory environment (and mechanical systems have the highest probability of failure). So even if a particular model of cooling fan turned out to be more prone to premature failure than another, it could be quite a while before you have a hint that your fan, in your computer, was going to be one of the 0.001% that fails way too soon.

A single defect does not a lemon make. The common definition of lemon is a product with multiple, serious defects. It's rare for anyone to know they have a true lemon within the first seven days. Cars can be identified as lemons because even major defects are likely to be repaired at the dealership - the owner has a chance to see other defects emerge over time. A high percentage of consumer electronics products are replaced, rather than repaired, so even if the item did have several defects waiting to be discovered, the original owner isn't likely to encounter more than one of them.

Then, of course, there's the echo chamber that is the Web. A handful of first-hand experiences are seen and repeated second-hand, third-hand...each echo larger than the last. "I've heard that...." (Why do you think they call it Mac Rumors?) There's simply no statistical validity.

crows list of possible problems has a common thread - they're all pretty obvious. Inspect the case, scrutinize the display, listen carefully. If you haven't noticed any of them on your own, they're easy enough to find. (And note that "normal" fan noise for one model can be abnormal in another - even the location of fan vents will affect your perception of noise.) Problem with RAM modules not connecting? Apple Menu > About This Mac. Either installed RAM matches what you bought, or not. Troubleshoot if necessary. Considering that memory modules and their mating connectors are stock items that are found in dozens of models... your odds of a problem are likely to be no better or worse than for any other model you buy.

So, you've already had enough time to go through the checklist. How'd yours do?

Fljeremy

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
Flickering display

I just returned my late imac 2012 27 BTO imac because the display started flickering in the lower half of the screen and sporadically throughout the screen. Patiently awaiting my replacement and hoping quality control has been stepped up the past several weeks. Also noticed slight fan noise not annoying but many say these are silent. Perhaps my office is just too quiet. Anyway that wasn't the main reason for the return the flicker I was unable to deal with.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
How much RAM do you have in it currently? I would test to make sure all 4 RAM slots are working when all filled. Mine seem to be having trouble doing this (i.e., only 2 are recognized as populated). To be fair, I have not seen other reports of this, but worth checking out if you can. I have a late 2012 27" i7.

I populated all 4 slots with 2x4GB from Apple and 2x8GB from G.Skill. All are published to be 1600MHz but the iMac reports it as 1333MHz.

Not to worry I am waiting for an RMA of one 2x8GB from G.Skill so I assume all 32GB of it will run at 1600MHz.

----------

1. Yellow tint on the bottom half of the screen

2. Image retention on your screen

3. Particles under the glass

4. Scuffs on the surface of the aluminium

5. Noisy fans

6. Strange sounds from the fan or other parts

That's pretty much it, there are other problems but seem less likely. The obvious problems will be on the screen especially the yellow tint problem I have returned 2 times and still don't have my iMac, i'm waiting on the replacement.

Thus far I have noticed none of the things you mentioned. I often wonder if my iMac's turned on because I cannot hear the fan or the HDD spin inside.

plasmaj

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2008
The 1333 vs 1600 could be due to a CAS mismatch between the Apple and gskill RAM. There are other threads here that discuss it. If the gskill has a lower latency than the apple, the system will only max to 1333mhz

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
The 1333 vs 1600 could be due to a CAS mismatch between the Apple and gskill RAM. There are other threads here that discuss it. If the gskill has a lower latency than the apple, the system will only max to 1333mhz

Thanks for the explanation! For the purpose of reference I used the memory below.

Brand
G.SKILL

Model
F3-1600C10D-16GSQ

Type
204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM

Tech Spec

Capacity
16GB (2 x 8G)

Speed
DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Cas Latency

Timing
10-10-10

Voltage
1.5V

ECC
No

Buffered/Registered
Unbuffered

Multi-channel Kit
Dual Channel Kit

Heat Spreader
No

plasmaj

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2008
The RAM that comes in the iMac is CAS 11. The gskill CAS 10, so somewhat faster. But because of the mismatch in speed the memory can only run at 1333.
You could take out the Mac RAM and you'll have 16gb at CAS 10 and 1600, or you could buy another 16gb of the gskill for 32gb at that speed. But if you are combining it with the imac ram, it will only go to 1333. Alternatively, you could return it and buy slower CAS 11 RAM that matches the imac RAM timing. There are some other threads that discuss it. Sorry, but can't find the links from my phone.

Hexley

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
The RAM that comes in the iMac is CAS 11. The gskill CAS 10, so somewhat faster. But because of the mismatch in speed the memory can only run at 1333.
You could take out the Mac RAM and you'll have 16gb at CAS 10 and 1600, or you could buy another 16gb of the gskill for 32gb at that speed. But if you are combining it with the imac ram, it will only go to 1333. Alternatively, you could return it and buy slower CAS 11 RAM that matches the imac RAM timing. There are some other threads that discuss it. Sorry, but can't find the links from my phone.
I had 4x8GB G.SKILL but had to return a pair because 1 stick failed a memtest.

I am putting up with the slow down until the RMA returns.

I'm moving the 8GB of the iMac to a 2010 13" MBPro. Hopefully it isn't picky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.