Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just noticed that our OP is a newbie (nothing wrong with that, per se, we all of us were holders of that distinguished title once upon a relatively distant time), with the grand total of one post, (the first in this thread), who has not returned to offer any further comments or thoughts to the many who thought to offer considered advice…...

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Just noticed that our OP is a newbie (nothing wrong with that, per se, we all of us were holders of that distinguished title once upon a relatively distant time), with the grand total of one post, (the first in this thread), who has not returned to offer any further comments or thoughts to the many who thought to offer considered advice…...

I lurked on this site from 2000 to 2001 when I finally made my first post. I read and read stuff but never commented. I may have even made a post but then disappeared for weeks. After that a few more, then becoming a regular, then was top poster here for 2 1/2 years (under different name).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I lurked on this site from 2000 to 2001 when I finally made my first post. I read and read stuff but never commented. I may have even made a post but then disappeared for weeks. After that a few more, then becoming a regular, then was top poster here for 2 1/2 years (under different name).

I was a lurker, here, too, for quite a while (I had just bought a MBP) before I plucked up the courage to join and post, as I wished to ask a question.

However, usually those - even newbies - who start threads, and seek advice when doing so, subsequently drop by to offer some observation on the posts of those who have taken the trouble to reply to the OP.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Chances of employment with a degree in mathematics are usually very high.

More importantly: Are you aware of what you are getting yourself into?
Maths isnt for everyone and the maths at university is very different from highschool.

Your chances of employment also depend on the country you are in.
In some countries employment is almost guaranteed with certain degrees.

I don't know what it's like there, but at least in the US a study of pure maths at the undergrad level is really designed as preparation for graduate studies of some kind. Typically in the junior and senior years they would cover a combination of modern algebra, topology, and real analysis. I don't know that they fully develop some of the really abstract principles of tangent space, tensors, manifolds, or anything else that gives me a headache. If the OP is truly interested in math, I have a whole collection of links to the sites of authors who distribute electronic versions of their books under creative commons licensing terms. I have a weird obsession with math books. Anyway I'm not sure I would personally go with a math degree unless the plan is to continue on to graduate studies.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I don't know what it's like there, but at least in the US a study of pure maths at the undergrad level is really designed as preparation for graduate studies of some kind. Typically in the junior and senior years they would cover a combination of modern algebra, topology, and real analysis. I don't know that they fully develop some of the really abstract principles of tangent space, tensors, manifolds, or anything else that gives me a headache. If the OP is truly interested in math, I have a whole collection of links to the sites of authors who distribute electronic versions of their books under creative commons licensing terms. I have a weird obsession with math books. Anyway I'm not sure I would personally go with a math degree unless the plan is to continue on to graduate studies.

Would you please share those links? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post here. Thanks!

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

Agreed. Most people in the math studies went to grad school, but Stats and Actuarial went to work after their undergraduate degrees

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
At 33 years old I will be going to school. My stupid younger self should have gone right after high school. It would have made things easier for me. oh well. I would have gone 5 years ago. But I had a lingering medical eye issue. I was in and out of the doctor's offices. It has now been taken care of.

Just like the title suggests looking for recommendations on what degree to pick that will help towards securing a job right after graduation?

Right now my major is Computer Science. I'm concerned about it though. I have a strong feeling that other non-computer majors like Accounting, Business Adminstration, Finance, Law etc. value years of experience. With computer programming or network administration I feel that their will be one day a new younger boss comes in and replaces me with a younger guy. A younger guy that will do the same work and for less money.

One thing I would love to do with my degree is to be self-employed. Be my own boss.

I am leaning towards a Mathematics degree. I have heard it opens doors when you have a Mathematics degree. I would be interested in becoming an Actuary. But not sure at 33 years old.

Someone please help me here. What do you recommend?

I would say engineering. Its kind of the sweet spot between "not anyone off the streets can do it" and "you dont need extra school (med/law) or certification to do it". I would say that the guarantee of a job upon graduation depends on where you go to study it. Where I went at UNO, the engineering department was engaged with local and nationwide companies and engineering firms with offering internships and having on-campus visits for recruiting. I actually applied for a single summer internship for an engineering contracting company during my college years, and my last semester of college they contacted me offering a job once I graduated.

I find engineering useful, it provides you knowledge in physics, mathematics, and computer software that help you both at work and in general life. It gives a different perspective which helps link what machines do to how they work and were designed. I will admit that this path wasnt my life goal, but it did provide a real smooth transition from school into a career-path.

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I studied maths and physics for two years after highschool.

I have since then tried to forget those two years :D

The profs were all crazy and the students werent any better.

I remember one lecture with a prof with long beard, thick glasses and sandals with wool socks doing some calculations for 1 1/2 hours, writing on several boards. After he was done he stepped back, rubbed his long grey beard and talked to himself about some mistake he made. Then he spent 15minutes mumbling and looking for the mistake. He couldnt find it and turned to the audience: "I made a mistake but I cant find it. It doesnt matter because I am sure you all know where I was getting at." And he left. :D I had no idea what was going on.

There were lots of these incidents and I actually passed all the courses but eventually I couldnt take it any more.

Higher maths is a really mental thing and its not healthy for everyone.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
The real question in landing a job after graduation is "Who do you know?"

The only guaranteed method of landing a job anymore is having someone on the inside (preferably someone high up on the totem) vouch for you.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I would say engineering. Its kind of the sweet spot between "not anyone off the streets can do it" and "you dont need extra school (med/law) or certification to do it". I would say that the guarantee of a job upon graduation depends on where you go to study it..

Engineering at Illinois represented arguably the smartest overall group of people who had no interest in graduate studies. It's so easy for us as engineers to trivialize, but Engineering programs are an absolute horror. Chemical Engineering was monstrously difficult, but almost certainly guaranteed you a well paying job post undergrad (this was 2010, so the job market had already recovered significantly).

But while my pre-med friends were crying over every B+ on every exam, I was kicking myself just to stay afloat in Thermodynamics, Differential Equations, Reaction Engineering, Separations, and Process Controls. Every semester there was another class like physical chemistry waiting to kick the crap out of you.

The real question is: Was it worth it? For a lot of people, the answer was no. We started with some 300 students and finished with less than 100. It was so stinking hard to sit in senior Design and Unit Operations while my peers were taking Introduction to the Beatles and Recreation, Sport, and Tourism classes. So yeah, get that Engineering degree and that $60,000 a year starting salary. You earn it.

This thread is silly in that you shouldn't push to do something just because of job outlook, when in all honesty, yes, you could certainly get a Chemical Engineering degree and get a job working at a refinery every day, but get ready for four years of absolute hell in the meantime. That's what it is. Hell.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Engineering at Illinois represented arguably the smartest overall group of people who had no interest in graduate studies. It's so easy for us as engineers to trivialize, but Engineering programs are an absolute horror. Chemical Engineering was monstrously difficult, but almost certainly guaranteed you a well paying job post undergrad (this was 2010, so the job market had already recovered significantly).

But while my pre-med friends were crying over every B+ on every exam, I was kicking myself just to stay afloat in Thermodynamics, Differential Equations, Reaction Engineering, Separations, and Process Controls. Every semester there was another class like physical chemistry waiting to kick the crap out of you.

The real question is: Was it worth it? For a lot of people, the answer was no. We started with some 300 students and finished with less than 100. It was so stinking hard to sit in senior Design and Unit Operations while my peers were taking Introduction to the Beatles and Recreation, Sport, and Tourism classes. So yeah, get that Engineering degree and that $60,000 a year starting salary. You earn it.

This thread is silly in that you shouldn't push to do something just because of job outlook, when in all honesty, yes, you could certainly get a Chemical Engineering degree and get a job working at a refinery every day, but get ready for four years of absolute hell in the meantime. That's what it is. Hell.

That's a real horror.

I went to an ag school, but we had some engineering (though not PhD stuff and very little in way of MS degrees) and the mostly bachelor's degree students were studying all the time.

I would think that people with their bachelor's in engineering make more than most after graduation, thus the lesser need for graduate school. I wouldn't think it's because they got "burned out" from school in general. They were made for study and long hours in the library is in their DNA. The engineering students I knew worked harder in high school than most non-engineering students did in college.

While I can study if pushed, I didn't want to have little time for other activities, so I took the easiest major I could think of which was business. There wasn't too much math, very little science, and not that much writing. :)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I studied maths and physics for two years after highschool.

I have since then tried to forget those two years :D

The profs were all crazy and the students werent any better.

I remember one lecture with a prof with long beard, thick glasses and sandals with wool socks doing some calculations for 1 1/2 hours, writing on several boards. After he was done he stepped back, rubbed his long grey beard and talked to himself about some mistake he made. Then he spent 15minutes mumbling and looking for the mistake. He couldnt find it and turned to the audience: "I made a mistake but I cant find it. It doesnt matter because I am sure you all know where I was getting at." And he left. :D I had no idea what was going on.

There were lots of these incidents and I actually passed all the courses but eventually I couldnt take it any more.

Higher maths is a really mental thing and its not healthy for everyone.

I want to laugh, but that could just as easily be me one day, especially the beard. My point about pure math degrees was that they really are about writing mathematical proofs. There's also only so much they can really fit into an undergrad program. The upper division typically covers modern algebra, real analysis, and some kind of intro to topology, either as its own course or weaved into a 2 semester real analysis sequence.

Agreed. Most people in the math studies went to grad school, but Stats and Actuarial went to work after their undergraduate degrees

I thought actuaries typically attended graduate programs. I could be wrong. Either way it takes years to study for and pass all of those tests prior to reaching their real earning potential. I know very little about what stat majors do, so I can't comment there.

Would you please share those links? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post here. Thanks!

I can't this second, but I will later. I have all the links saved, and I'll double check them before sending.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
My friend studied for years and years to pass all his exams and become an actuary.

He hates it. Can't stand his job.

While I don't know any actuaries, literally every dentist or lawyer I know has the same story with years of study and then absolutely hating their job.

I think certain jobs pay well because you have to pay somebody that much for something so miserable. When I hear the stories my lawyer or dentist friends tell me, it's pretty consistent with comments lawyers or dentists I don't know make as to how hard and stressful work is. I don't think for a second either one is overpaid even though anything I paid lawyers and dentists is a lot more than I make.

My friend who was a CEO and went through a lot of ups and downs said, "What you are doing in any overly stressful job is to trade your happiness, and often your integrity in some jobs, for a little extra cash. Those who have regular jobs and complain about stress have no idea how bad it can get at the top". Whether it's lonely at the top, or miserable, I am glad I am not there. You never meet somebody who makes that much and say that it's easy or fun.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
That's a real horror.
Illinois is a scary good engineering school.

I went to an ag school, but we had some engineering (though not PhD stuff and very little in way of MS degrees) and the mostly bachelor's degree students were studying all the time.

I would think that people with their bachelor's in engineering make more than most after graduation, thus the lesser need for graduate school. I wouldn't think it's because they got "burned out" from school in general. They were made for study and long hours in the library is in their DNA. The engineering students I knew worked harder in high school than most non-engineering students did in college.

You nailed it on the head. Every engineer who went to grad school I know did either Masters in food science or PhD. Most of the PhDs got wise and went to industry anyway. It just wasn't worth it for me. That salary I made at 22 is so much more valuable than the money I would make after grad school. Just didn't seem worth it.

While I can study if pushed, I didn't want to have little time for other activities, so I took the easiest major I could think of which was business. There wasn't too much math, very little science, and not that much writing. :)

There are a lot of intangibles that go into becoming successful with a business degree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.