Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Albert Siegel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
Tokyo
I have been searching and trying to figure this out, but have had zero luck. What determines the primary boot screen? What I mean is, on the mini, I have the HDMI and Thunderbolt port. What factors make the computer decide which one to show the grey Apple boot screen before the OS loads?

If I boot the computer and then power on my monitors, it defaults to the HDMI. However, if I **** down, reboot, or power on if the monitors had been left on since last boot, the boot defaults to the Thunderbolt port. This is driving me mad! On my old 2009 mini, the Mini DVI was always the default boot. On my 2011, it can't seem to make up its mind. Any ideas?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I have been searching and trying to figure this out, but have had zero luck. What determines the primary boot screen? What I mean is, on the mini, I have the HDMI and Thunderbolt port. What factors make the computer decide which one to show the grey Apple boot screen before the OS loads?

If I boot the computer and then power on my monitors, it defaults to the HDMI. However, if I **** down, reboot, or power on if the monitors had been left on since last boot, the boot defaults to the Thunderbolt port. This is driving me mad! On my old 2009 mini, the Mini DVI was always the default boot. On my 2011, it can't seem to make up its mind. Any ideas?

I run hdmi solely now but it always defaulted to hdmi unless it detected a monitor connected to the tb port for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.