What did Apple do?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by v-ault, Jan 15, 2008.

1. v-ault macrumors regular

I have recently sold my Macbook Pro in anticipation of an ultra-portable mac notebook.

I was hoping for something like the 12" powerbook g4. Instead, what did we get? We got the retarded (though good looking) brother of the Macbook.

There's NO reasons to get a Macbook Air over the Macbook besides the supposed better battery life and backlit keyboard. The thinness does not add ANY extra portability.

So, now I'm stuck. I have a few questions for Macbook owners. How is the battery life? Can it last maybe 5 hours with Wifi turned off? That's basically all I am concerned about. Apple is not offering anything smaller than 13 inches, so I might as well actually get a 13 inch product from apple that actually makes some SENSE.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you're lucky, you can see 5 hours with no-wifi and a next-to-zero screen, yes. You'll get at least 4 hours under those conditions with a new battery.
    And next time, counting, chickens, hatching, you know the deal! :D

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Awwwww u shouldnt hv sold ur MBP!!!!! Never trust rumors or MR buyer's guide!!!!!! Hope u'll enjoy ur new MB if u're considering one,

4. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

yeahhhh......shouldn't have sold the macbook pro

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Sooo . . . Apple came out with what you wanted, but it wasn't what you wanted . . .

6. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

:D:D:D

I used to get about 4 1/2 hours out of my Macbook when it was new. Now, about a year and a half on, I get about 2 1/2, but then again I'm bad at battery maintenance.

7. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I too sold my Macbook Pro, but I am in a position where I don't need it as I have a work laptop and a desktop PC, so I am looking at waiting for the next revision of Macbook Pro's to come out (all the time, adding to the funds), and then getting the best I can afford (I'm also seperately saving for an iMac too) so when that gets updated (meaning a CPU refresh), I will be buying one of those too :)

Come on world of Macs...entice me in

8. Bad Paper macrumors 6502

I promise you that the Airbook is more portable than the MbPro.

9. v-ault thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I have an iMac so I don't need a MBP anymore. All I needed was an ultra-portable with great battery life.

I don't need a handicapped Macbook just for the sake of being thin. Looks like I have no choice but a macbook.

Any news on a refresh coming soon?

10. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Well that was a bit silly wasn't it!!

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I think you should retitle your thread to "What was I thinking?!?!"
    This isn't Apple's problem.

12. v-ault thread starter macrumors regular

Not really. I always knew I'd have a macbook to fall on.

Apple, well, they've created a product that's very reminiscent of the cube.

13. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

As I recall, nobody thought much of the iPod, either.

14. portent macrumors 6502a

Yeah...don't ever let Rumors determine what you do with real money. There's a reason we call them that.

So is a pocket calculator, but that doesn't mean it's a good substitute.

15. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Not yet... There are the obvious rumours of Apple doing 'silent updates' in the next few weeks (and if they do, great), but I can't really see it being before February now, and I'd expect the MBP and the iMac to get the Penryn cpu's at roughly the same time (my poor poor bank account lol).

I considered the Macbook for some time (and before that, the iBook while they were the up to date model), but I spend more time (currently) on my works laptop PC than I do on my Desktop PC. I know this will change when completely switching to a whole Mac set up because I will need the umph of a desktop, the screen size, and the storage capacity. (I will be using Logic Studio, Adobe CS3 Master Collection, and Final Cut Studio 5.1 which all add up to about 250GB for full installs). Obviously, I wouldn't be able to do full installs on the MBP however.

When the Aluminium iMac's were released, I thought, yay the MBP will be updated soon...what a mistake lol. As a result, I have been waiting since then for them to be updated before buying one (The only reason I ended up with a MBP to sell is courtesy of my insurance company), and therefore, this has enabled me to buy both a MBP and an iMac.

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I agree with you on this one.

17. connectingrodd4 macrumors newbie

lol well said

18. Stitzu macrumors member

Why sell the MBP in the first place? It's a great machine :D The only reason I can think of is lack of portability?

19. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Some people like the newest and shiniest.

I sold mine too, not that I regretted the decision, I got top dollar for it.

20. chewietobbacca macrumors 6502

Heh, hate to say it, but it seems functionality is still more important than portability to you.

Though I have to say, the footprint being the same size is no good

21. ChadBrommer macrumors member

ChadBrommer

Nice... Hahaha. That gave me a good 5 minutes of laughter. Nice.

22. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

I believe the MacBook Air is constructed from solid billets of aluminum, like an iMac, as opposed to the plastic and sheetmetal construction of the other notebooks.
    This seems like it would be significantly more durable and "solid" than previous designs.
    With SSD, soldered RAM and no internal optical drive, it should also be essentially immune to shock and free from vibration, rattles, creaks etc...

Personally, I'm willing to forego some technical performance to gain durability and a more solid feel.
    This notebook would be an excellent addition to a professional photography rig.

23. crazydrumma macrumors regular

My Macbook battery life is decent, but I did in fact just get it. I can squeak out 4.5 hours, but I haven't messed with the screen settings, etc. I personally like the size of the macbook, and it's powerful enough to edit video on as well. The macbook would be a good choice. Even if the macbook air would be everything you wanted, first generations usually have some bugs to fix, anyway.

24. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

BTW, if the iPhone and iPod Touch had optical sensors on the back and virtual multitouch buttons on the display, I think Apple would have a nice suite of devices that work together wirelessly.
    Frankly, I surprised they haven't released a product like this yet.

25. mmccaskill macrumors 6502

So in your opinion, is this why the RAM is soldered to the board? I can't think of any other reason to do that.