What did Apple leave out?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by FatMax, Mar 3, 2015.

1. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

For speculation purposes;

Tim Cook said there was a lot they didn't have time to show off on the event in September.
    I was also a bit disappointed with only accelerometer and heartbeat sensor for the first generation. Does it mean they are holding back info on something else?

Barometer? Temperature sensor? My current Suunto has both, with months of battery time..

What do you think? Any surprises left in the hardware?

2. gcooldude86 macrumors 6502

I don't think there is anymore hardware surprises. This event next week will probably show off some apps, pricing, release and pre-order date.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I agree there is no unannounced hardware on the watch itself. But there could be, for instance, a new AppleTV that is optimized to work with the watch.

4. gcooldude86 macrumors 6502

Agree. There might be other hardware they announce for the Mac's or whatever but I don't think there is any unannounced hardware.

5. extricated, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015

extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

I would love to see that (Apple TV), but I'm not confident that we will. It would be nice if they worked content deals adequately and are ready to unveil a new Apple TV. If they've "cracked the code" by now, it seems like that could warrant its own event.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It wouldn't require new Apple TV hardware though. We can already control Apple TV using iPhone. It'll just be a software update on the :apple:TV side.

7. TS19 macrumors member

As others have said, no new hardware in terms of the device itself, but they will go through more of what it can do, their own apps, and select third-party apps as well (in addition to Price + Availability).

However, it's possible there may be new accessories.

8. sp392845 macrumors newbie

Sleep tracking, hopefully, now that there's possibly a 30 minute charge time or whatever has been floating around??

9. technosix macrumors 6502a

If Apple ships the watch with a stable relatively bug free OS, that'll give them a good start. Any missing features can absolutely wait till the second gen Watch.

That's the version I'm happily waiting for. The original Apple Watch is highly likely to be an exercise in frustration for those of us enthusiasts that know Apple can do better.

Gen 2 of Apple Watch will be far better. Apple's history proves it, and I've personally experienced it. I plan to sit back, relax and watch early adopters with their Apple Watch experience.

10. FatMax thread starter macrumors 6502

FatMax

Thanks for the inputs - I know I'm setting my self up for disappointment by expecting too much. Almost all products from apple start out as minuscule versions of what they can be.
    I just think that when Nike is gearing up for release with an app - where climb is one of the features in the app - that it's odd there's no barometer in the device.

Can't wait till Monday though, and I'll happily pick up a version when released based on notification that can be act upon alone!

11. extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

I wonder the same thing myself.
    One thing for sure, whatever they release will be far better than the Apple Watch we curently own! ;)
    In that respect, no disappointments! :D

12. FatMax thread starter macrumors 6502

FatMax

13. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

Mark Gurman says that the watch has a notification center similar to the iPhone.

14. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

It could always use the iPhone's barometer, like how it will use the iPhone's GPS. But that doesn't help if you want to go running without your iPhone, of course.

I agree it would make sense for there to be a barometer. Cheaper, competing devices like FitBit have it.

15. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

I have asked myself this question too.

However, since the Watch actually uses a lot of data from the iPhone. What are we really missing?

The Apple Watch has a built in Heart Rate Sensor, Accelerometer but can use the new built in Barometer, Gyro and Wi-Fi and GPS of the iPhone.

What are we missing a Temperature sensor? Sweat Sensor?

I don't think most people will miss much there.

I think the first generation of the Apple Watch at its core will perform most functions that the device will offer over its lifespan. Leaving out a Temperature and Sweat sensor won't make much difference to 99% of people.

Obviously battery life will always improve and the device will become slimmer.

On that note, the Apple Watch is just a thick as my stainless steel Armitron Link Bracelet watch and it just tells the time and date. Its not as thick as people think compared to non-smart watches.

16. imwoblin macrumors 6502

Sitting here while my Suunto Core storm alarm is beeping thinking a weather trend indicator arrow and storm alarm would be a great addition to the A' Watch. It could use the barometric sensor in the iPhone.

17. FatMax thread starter macrumors 6502

FatMax

I have the same watch and wishing for the same features for the Apple Watch!

18. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

Major tie in to home automation?

An Apple Nest or whatever (Apple TV?), so your watch is the easiest way to change temperature, set lighting for hue or other smart lights, change TV.

19. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

The killer feature. The thing that shows all the other manufacturers and the world what the device should be. The iPod did it for mp3 players. The iPhone did it for smartphones. I don't believe the :apple:Watch does that for smartwatches. In fact, aside from sending heartbeats and being (possibly) stupid expensive, I don't know that the :apple:Watch is all that different or better than any other smartwatch.

Hopefully, on March 9th we get that experience. Hopefully, Tim Cook takes the stage and everyone has the "Ah-Ha!" moment. I want to see why I can't live without the :apple:Watch, the same way I couldn't live without the iPod and iPhone.