What did I do and how can I prevent this?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Macman1993, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Macman1993 macrumors 6502

Macman1993

So I'm a python noob I was just practicing with concatenating strings and I was also just throwing some escape sequences just to practice what I had done. I don't remember exactly what I typed but it was nothing more then a small text print app I was just making for practice. When I executed this through IDLE everything froze and my computer made a very loud whining noise (sound came from the speakers not the HD) I had to restart my comp so I don't know exactly what I did but it wasn't anything special. Did I manage to make the app of death or was it some weird glitch and if I caused the glitch what can I do to never to that again because that freaked out when my comp suddenly began blasting a whining noise.

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

There's one way to find out: run the app again. Nowadays with protected memory in operating systems, really nothing should be able to crash your whole machine, but it does happen on occasion.

3. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

If you can, you want to do this again. If there's a bug in python or OS X that you can readily reproduce, that's a good thing. No input, no matter what it is, should cause the OS to crash.

-Lee