What did iOS8 Do Right and Wrong?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by nviz22, Apr 2, 2015.

1. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

I say the iMessage response from any screen is the best feature. The worst was file size it took to download it perhaps since I didn't deal with a bricked iPhone.

2. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Extensibility and widgets are in my opinion the best things about iOS 8. But the bugs that exist (and they are easily reproducible) are unacceptable.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Right: Pretty much all the things iOS 8 added.

Wrong: Pretty much all the bugs and instability/performance issues that were present at launch, and quite a few that still exist in various places still.

4. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

i cant think of any wrongs..every single major fw release with a new phone always had & will have some bugs to start..

the flat & lack of shiny 3d look of the UI/icons is nice bad & nice in mixed ways so thats a neutral for me

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

No wrongs, seriously?
    This isn't a KitKat to Lollipop release, it's basically iOS7 with some new features and a shedload of bugs. I can't criticise having new features, after all if you don't want to use them then don't. However, introducing bugs into the old features is unacceptable.

As for all firmware being buggy to start, well we're six months from the old firmware and six months away from iOS9. Expecting people to spend more than half, and possibly all of their time at this rate with a new phone having major bugs is totally unacceptable. If all bugs aren't quashed within three months maximum then I'm of the opinion that Apple aren't pulling their finger out. We're talking glaring and impossible to miss bugs here which affect the fundamental operations of the phone, not tiny aesthetic issues. They're either too busy working on new things and patch the old things if & when they can be bothered, or they're incapable. Whichever it is, they should obviously invest some of those billions of dollars that they don't seem to know what to do with in some additional programmers. Like a whole building full of them.

6. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Rights: Quick Reply, Widgets, battery drain info.

Wrongs: Almost everything on iPad. It is so freaking slow, choppy, stuttery, laggy, buggy, and quirky on my mini 2, which for the record is the same as an iPad Air which is only A YEAR old. There is so much wasted screen, so much overdone translucency and poorly optimized software which drags the freaking thing down to hell. Things are usually executed pretty quick, but it's just the UI, how it all carries out. When I leave apps, very often it leaves as two big chops, however if I open the app again and immediately leave, it's smooth. The app has to be used for awhile to make this happen. I have to restart the iPad almost daily because rotating gradually gets slower and slower and slower. The battery life is pretty dang bad, and under the hood everything is just wrong. Ridiculous amount of crashing of stuff, CoreTime logs now with 8.2, backboardd, splashboardd, JetsamEvents, it is bad. Really really bad. The crash logs are an issue on iPhone as well, and again, battery life is pretty questionable. UI lag is present on iPad pretty much anywhere that involves a keyboard (ESPECIALLY A SPLIT KEYBOARD IN SAFARI), going into spotlight is pretty bad, sending medium to long messages in an already on-going conversation is stuttery, Siri animation still isn't great, everything stutters when you tap the URL bar, just no. I could go on much much longer but I was going to try and keep this decently succinct. I have already failed miserably at that. There's just so much that needs to be said about UI performance and bugs, particularly on iPad. It all is just SO sloppy. If iOS 9 isn't a huge bug fix update I will be extremely upset. It needs to be particularly focused on fixing glaring bugs and UI issues/PERFORMANCE ON IPAD first, then working out the things like nonstop crash logs, memory management, battery life, and the general sluggishness or random quirks.

7. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

iOS 8 did pretty much everything wrong which was right with iOS 7.1.2.

It lost the polish, started stuttering, glitching and introduced several random bugs.

Only thing done right was showing battery usage per app.

8. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

I do chuckle to myself every time Apple stand on stage and talk about the a new iPad/iPhone and how amazingly fast it is. All I can think is "Yes but in 18 months it's going to be slow like the one you announced last year" - optimising for older devices is something Apple need to invest more in.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

They want you to want to buy a new one in a year or two. Having newer products that are much faster is part of that appeal.

10. Coupz macrumors regular

Please do us a flavor and buy an android device where you sometimes don't get even never updates or bug fixes with 6-8 months old devices.

Apple is definitely supporting older devices longer then others.

11. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

Yes and that's good - but it's not sustainable to ask people to upgrade so often (especially on non-subsidised hardware). Just as Microsoft had to make Windows 7 & 8 work with Vista level hardware, at some point Apple will too (as the market matures).

You can buy a brand new iPad Mini first gen, and it's barly usable out of the box due to the lack of optimisation for iOS 8.

I would wager the primary reason for people switching from iOS to Android is dissatisfied customers who have slow hardware

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Barely usable or just has some animation/transparency glitches here and here (most of which can be disabled)?

13. Rhonindk, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015

Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

iOS 8 was all about a New New New version of 7!!!! Show me the Gimmicks!!! Check out the New Stuff!!!!!!

A three ring circus instead of giving us a "it just works" OS. :rolleyes:

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

What gimmicks? If anything, bugs and stability/performance aside, the changes that iOS 8 introduced were probably some of the most important ones to come to iOS so far.