What did iTunes do to my ID3 tags?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by agpetz, Jun 17, 2008.

1. agpetz macrumors newbie

I moved my mp3 collection from my xp computer when I got my iMac. On windows, I used media monkey and had all my mp3's properly tagged. Everything looks fine in iTunes and the music I transferred to my iPhone appears to all be correctly labeled. However, I recently installed media monkey on my vmware fusion image to put mp3's on my creative player and all of my tags are completely destroyed. Does iTunes hate ID3 tags? Do I have to redo them all, and will iTunes just screw them up again?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iTunes do not "screw up" or "screw up again" media tags, as many DJs use it to tag their library, due to extremely fast search speed.

Perhaps Media Monkey don't really write the ID3 tags into the file?

Why do you think iTunes messes with ID3 tags? Perhaps you want test your theory with some files before making wild speculations?

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It seems to hate a lot of things that don't happen directly in iTunes or the iPod. Maybe there is reason or logic to the way it trashes, but I've never worked it out given the red mist in front of my eyes at the time.

Actually Consultant, it's the other way around. iTunes doesn't write into ID3 tags a lot of the time.

To the OP: Yes, the likelihood of iTunes trashing them again is quite high. If you've bought into Apple-land, the way to avoid 'I'll throw this ******* piece of **** against the wall' frustrations (well - apart from the pretty yet rubbish hardware which you can't get away from) is by staying within Apple-land working / playing in the way that Steve wants you to.

i.e. Buy an iPod and sync it on your main iTunes installation on OS X. More money of course, but not a terrible compromise either IMO for most.

4. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

Can you tell us exactly which tags are messed up? That might help narrow down what went wrong.

5. agpetz thread starter macrumors newbie

For the most part the only info still there is the song title. Would having the option checked in itunes to have itunes automatically manage the library affect the tags?

Consultant: It's not "wild speculation"...I highly doubt media monkey only pretends to write to the ID3 tag. I did test my theory, as I described in my first post.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I've never really looked into it in-depth for the reason I said above but automatic management could well be a factor. For some reason, iTunes grabs the ID3 tags in some cases and secrets it in it's own database just like the album art. It's freakin' annoying.

7. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

In my experience, iTunes only stores in it's library tags not part of the proper ID3 spec, such as the rating and play count.

Can you try using senuti to extract the tracks from your iPhone into the XP partition?