What did this guy do to his LCD Studio Display??

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Nov 2, 2014.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Attached Files:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Some kind of glossy overly or protector has been put onto it. You could always ask them exactly what it is.

3. weckart macrumors 68040

Looks like he CLEANED it. :D I wish other sellers would take the hint with their sales. My last two purchases were rank and that was not visible from the eBay photos.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

If I had to guess I'd say some kind of glossy screen protector, or the panel has been replaced at some point with a glossy one. The mini description actually lists it as "CRT, CRT LCD, LCD" (whatever a "CRT LCD" is).

5. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I didn't want to make an eBay account to do so. But yes, I did figure it was some protector, but it looks like a clean job. I also wonder why he didn't list it in the description.

----------

I am guessing it's one of those covers they use on monitors in some public facilities, which purposefully impairs the screen's viewing angle to everyone but the user. (useful at banks, airports, etc.)

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I find it interesting that the seller points out there is no power supply.
    It didn't come with a power supply (brick). All power/video/USB is through the single ADC cable - one of the advertising points for that model.
    The seller claims that it tests good... I wonder if that's true, as the seller doesn't appear to understand what he has.

7. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

"Does not include power supply."
    That part is correct.

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The seller is most likely referring to the DVI to ADC adapter that he may have used to test it. That adapter is also a power supply for the monitor.

9. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

If you take a closer look you'll notice a rectangle above the screen that's slightly darker. It's a screen protector or a sheet of shiny plastic or something. And that's a 15" or 17" studio display (too lazy to check which). The 17" CRT has no feet, but instead has a large stand in the bottom center.

10. RedCroissant Suspended

The seller is obviously not the original owner (and probably not even the 2nd or 3rd owner).

11. tampasteve macrumors 6502

CRT LCD was a super secret test project by Steve Jobs. He marketed it primarily to DARPA, but they only bought one test unit. Obviously this unit somehow chewed its way through the blast doors and made it to the surface. Probably one of a kind.

;)

12. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

He is referring to the adapter that could be used on computers that don't have ADC connections. (such as those with DVI, VGA, etc.)

----------

Yeah, I am aware of both kinds of Apple monitor. It's funny that they stuck a protector on it, but as I mentioned to someone else, it may be one of those privacy shields that pretty much limits the monitor's viewing angle to the eyes of the user.