Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I remember reading many complaints regarding one side of the bezel slightly raised and not really flush with the glass surface when the 3GS first came out in June.

I just bought my 3G Touch and mine has the same problem. It doesn't bother me too much but I guess it bothers me enough to ask others who had the same complaint.

So, what did you do about it? Anybody exchanged the iPhone because of the bezel (I guess usually it's the right side of the iPhone) is slightly raised?

moka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Just kept it, dosent bother me at all...

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
After much soul-searching, and with the help of therapy, I learned to accept my 3GS for who it was, warts and all, and began using it.

You know, it works just fine (and I may be imagining it, but I think it's snappier because it knows it needs to try harder, it not being perfect).

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
After much soul-searchning, and with the help of therapy, I learned to accept my 3GS for who it was, warts and all, and began using it.

You know, it works just fine (and I may be imagining it, but I think it's snappier because it knows it needs to try harder, it not being perfect).

You treat iPhone likea brand new puppy with a funny limp. Haha glad you got it worked out...

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2009
I had one like that at first, but then I exchanged it AT&t and got a white one and it's been fine.

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
Well when I got a huge scratch on the glass I exchanged the iphone 3G with the right side bezel raised for a new one at the Apple Store. It was raised a LOT.

Gin Gin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
My 3GS bezel is very slightly higher on the right side. It did bother me just a little when I would swipe my finger across the screen. I put a screen protector on and that's enough so I don't feel it anymore. Works well enough for me.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
It's actually not the bezel that's higher, but the glass is sunken past the bezel. Also, my plastic back didn't line up with the metal bezel either. I could feel a sharp edge on one side. It bothered me because that's how I pick up my iPhone… by the sides.

I ultimately returned my iPhone 3GS 3 times and then I returned it for good. It wasn't worth the hassles. Plus, I didn't like the screen very much. I had good old horizontal scan lines and yellowing on the bottom portion only.

Oh well. My iPhone 3G is perfect. The UI graphics are as smooth as a 3GS on 2.2.1.

ckhris

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
I took mine back to apple and they said the clips were broke and gave me a new phone.

lollicup

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
OP I find that you can press the glass slightly to level it out ( press on the high side)

You can also install a screen protector and case, which will make you completely forget the bezel is slightly off

Did Apple advertise that the bezel wouldn't be flush with the glass?

Spaz we get it you have OCD, and so do other members here on Macrumors.

Apple shouldn't be held responsible to the ridiculous quality control levels that you guys think are expected of a mass produced product

If you look at brand new shoes and cars you will notice small flaws ( maybe a string out of place, small piece of glue)

IF the defect affects your use of the product, I would take it back, otherwise just learn to deal with it

This reminds me of the guy who posted about his sim card being .1 mm slanted :rolleyes:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8320102

attachment.php

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
I remember reading many complaints regarding one side of the bezel slightly raised and not really flush with the glass surface when the 3GS first came out in June.

I just bought my 3G Touch and mine has the same problem. It doesn't bother me too much but I guess it bothers me enough to ask others who had the same complaint.

So, what did you do about it? Anybody exchanged the iPhone because of the bezel (I guess usually it's the right side of the iPhone) is slightly raised?

I've done a couple of things with a raised bezel havin' iPhone...

I've tripped some ants walking across my screen.

I've cut some rice paper.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Did Apple advertise that the bezel wouldn't be flush with the glass?

They didn't advertise anything about the bezel. Why would you expect it to be flush? What kind of tolerances do you think these cell phones are built to these days?

Smart ass, one side was raised up on mine and yes it is an issue on some phones.

It's always better to be a smart ass than to be a dumb ass.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
They didn't advertise anything about the bezel. Why would you expect it to be flush? What kind of tolerances do you think these cell phones are built to these days?

That's why they should come up with a better design that makes the iPhone easier to build and eliminate some of the possible defects. Why don't they put some sort of metal rail attached underneath the bezel that makes it so the glass can only be one height?

They advertised how the new Unibody MacBook Pro is built to precision to get that perfect quality… they should innovate something with the iPhone.

There are a few areas they can work on.

1. The plastic back is known to crack
2. Fix the even-ness of the glass
3. Come up with a different bezel solution all together
4. Don't glue a piece of metal onto plastic (silent switch) cause it can fall off
5. Don't put the headphone hole so close to the metal bezel. That's where a lot of cracks happen.

There are things that Apple can do to help reduce the chance of creating a defective phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.