What did you name your Bluetooth device?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Doctor Q, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You can rename devices in the Bluetooth panel of System Preferences by selecting "Rename" from the gear menu.

I named my Magic Mouse Algernon, since the mouse sometimes seems clever and other times rather dumb. Previously, I had named it Squeaky, but that didn't seem to fit since it's always silent.

What did you name your wireless mouse, Magic Trackpad, or other Bluetooth device?

2. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

I must be kind of boring: I follow the same thing I normally do for hostnames, which involves a convention I adapted from work. The first three letters are my initials (rather than the department), followed by a hyphen, then an abbreviated description of the device--e.g., XYZ-MAGICMOUSE. (I left out the subdepartment and building location that we'd otherwise use... :))

This has the added advantage of easily separating my significant other's devices from mine.

If I were more creative, I'd have a theme, like Greek gods for certain devices and Roman for others, or constellations, or something.

3. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I know a company that named their servers after planets. When Pluto was reclassified as a dwarf planet that must have wreaked havoc with their network!

My work computer has a boring hostname, with a pattern similar to what you describe, but even at work I get to name my peripherals. When I named my Time Capsule "TC" a network guy saw a strange name on the network and thought hackers had gotten in!

I don't have a separate trackpad so I haven't had to think of a clever name for one yet.

4. mogallin macrumors member

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I knew of one that took their names from Star Trek, one server was kirk, another spock, sulu etc.

6. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

So one of them must have been named "Computer"!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

m5 ;)

8. sudosu macrumors newbie