What did you name your home folder?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zooby, May 6, 2009.

1. zooby, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

3. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Ok, I see you mean the folder not hard drive...I did my first initial and last name so manderson

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

it is not recommended you change it. as it creates problems when sorting files & applications and building libraries.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1428

that details proper procedures

honestly its not worth the effort if you have to rename..just create a new user account and drag your files and preferences over.

5. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

My home folder is just my first name only. I can't remember if I named it that myself or if it was automatically assigned when I named my computer on the initial setup.

6. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

My initials. It's faster to type than my first and/or last name. Plus I think it looks better.

7. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Ahh you are right. Initials would look better. Too much of a PITA to change mine now though.

8. zooby, May 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017

zooby thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. MVApple macrumors 6502a

I just used my first name. When I just got my computer I missed the step where OS X asks you what to name it (or does it even ask?) and figuring out how to change it was the first thing I had to do when getting my Mac. It was a bit of a pita, but since I had just got the computer I created a new account and deleted the first since I had no settings or anything to keep.

10. magamo macrumors 6502

My first name with the initial letter capitalized. Can't remember when I named it.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

my initials, which happens to be my nick here :)

12. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

Here's a stupid question. What is a 'home folder'? No, I'm not being a smart ass (perhaps a dumbass though). I just bought my Macs, set them up, created a user account and started using them, so......no odea.

Tom

13. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

It's the folder that holds all data specific to a user account plus anything you've placed on the Desktop or any of the media/document folders (Movies, Documents, etc). Anything in your home folder is inaccessible to other accounts unless they have the correct privileges.

Now, mine is just my first and last names.

14. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

Caprisey Haze the illest rapper alive!!! And also the name of my home folder

15. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

I have it the same way. I don't like how OS X automatically uncapitalizes it.

When entering the information at the initial boot, say you enter 'John Doe'. Capitalized... lookin' good.

OS X should cut the last name and keep the first name capitalized for the home folder's default name.

So, example: John

instead of: john doe

Perhaps I'll go give this to Apple as feedback.

16. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

17. magamo macrumors 6502

I thought the same way. Everything else in the left column of Finder has its initial letter capitalized with the obvious exception of iDisk. Not only Desktop, Download and other usual stuff, but so are Today, Yesterday etc. under SEARCH in the same column. It might just be me, but I don't think having an all-lowercase home folder name along with these should be the default option.

If you set the location shown on the top of Finder, things get even worse. You'll see something like /User/john/Library/Mail/Signatures and /User/john/Movies.

18. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

If it's just for typing convenience, remember when typing file paths you can replace the whole path of your home folder with a "~". Both Finder and Terminal will accept this.