What different Apple Watch edition and Apple Watch ?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tonoboon, Dec 8, 2015.

1. tonoboon macrumors regular

tonoboon

Do you guys know what different btw the edition and steel ?

I just notice that the edition have more colour for some Watchface , Modular for example .

I love this idea , like Rolex Submariner with Red Submariner much more value than normal Rolex. Collector know that.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Just gold or rose gold-colored second hand and complications for the Edition watch faces.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

About 9,500 dollars depending on the model you choose.

Seriously its the same watch save for apple using Gold instead of stainless steel. I went with the sports model using similar logic. Why spend 500 for the base stainless steel watch when I can spend 350 and get the same watch (has aluminum and ion glass instead of SS and sapphire). The less expensive models do the exact same thing as its pricier versions.

4. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

It's all preference but to me the sport doesn't look nearly as nice as the stainless and it's less resilient too.

5. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Sapphire glass on SS and edition, and most important looks and feel of SS gold and how it make other people feel about you are major difference.

Watch is a "wearable" device, it is what give other people's 1st impression of who you are or what you represented on that day. Same as clothes, shoes, tie, and hat. It stayed with you when you meet people and become part of you.
    Some people spend $50 for a pair of jeans or shoes to work, some people wear thousand dollar suit, dress, and shoes every day at work. You won't mistake a pair of $50 jeans with $1000+ suit, same as $30 back pack with $2000 designer handbag.

6. tonoboon thread starter macrumors regular

tonoboon

For me Rolex Dayton Rosegold and Stainless steel both have same function just the material different , price is three times different.
    But Apple Watch about six times .

7. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

As pretty as Rolex and other high end traditional watch are, they are dumb.
    I personally prefer above average but incredible smart and know it all, than pretty but dumb can only do 1-2 things and nothing else.

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Depends on what those two things are and how well she does them.

…what? ;)

9. tonoboon thread starter macrumors regular

tonoboon

So do you plan to get the edition or next model maybe Platinium edition.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It doesn't mean it's a good value for the average customer, considering it'll quickly become obsolete in a few short years. They're aimed at the uber-rich who go on a $20,000 shopping spree on a lazy weekday and think nothing of it.

11. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Gold is not my thing, white or yellow.
    SS is just perfect for me. There is reason why SS is still most popular material amount traditional mid to high end watch.

12. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

What's "high end"?

13. tonoboon thread starter macrumors regular

tonoboon

I think it's popular because average people can afford it, of course if the price almost the same, no one go SS for sure.
    I've a few traditional watches, most of them come with gold.

Do you have any idea about used Tag Heuer watches, the price got not much value , so even Apple Watch obsolete or not I concern just how much I can sell it in the future, If I'm not wrong Apple Watch product cycle not obsolete so soon,
    They would launch new material but all function almost the same , like Stainless and Gold have same function on day one.
    or latest release Hermes Apple Watch , just new Watch face and strap .
    All new function come with new WatchOS and all Apple Watch got the same thing.

14. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Don't forget that it would be unfair and confusing for both users and developers if the different models had different functions.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They should in theory have a similar cycle as other iDevices but will most certainly be rendered obsolete after so many years. Unlike a $10,000-17,000 conventional luxury watch that can last a lifetime with proper maintenance.

16. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

You do know most of gold watch are not 24k.
    I have significant 24k gold jewel, and they are good investment, but not 18k or less gold normally use in watch. Value of watch is on the rarity of watch, not gold or SS.
    Watch company want you to believe that 18k gold is worth a lot, but if you know someone work in jewelry, they will tell you they are laughing to the bank when someone insist on 18k or less gold watch for investment vs 24K gold jewelry, just based on the material.

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

AU is only a good investment if you pay spot and the spot value increases. AU (like most commodities) has been trending down. You pay a premium for AU when buying jewelry and it is a poor investment by almost any bench mark.

18. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Conventional watches don't need to cost that much to last a lifetime (although the expectation is higher). More important is whether spare parts can still be found decades later. That's when you start running into manufacturers discontinuing movements, using bespoke parts, etc.

The Australian dollar?

Oh, the symbol "Au" for gold. Gotcha.

(just wanted to be pedantic for once ;-)

19. jasie02, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015

jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Still better than gold watch or any saving account in the bank, and it has less risk, based on past 30 years history, than stock.
    My question is, what investment you have right now is better than gold form past 30 years?

20. Julien, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Gold was about $325oz in 1985 and is a little over $1000oz today. So that is not much of a return in 30 years if brought at spot. If bought in jewelry (like a gold chain) you would have paid anywhere from 3 to 10 times spot. So you would likely have lost investment. Apple stock was about $1 a share in 1985, so $1000 would be worth well over $125,000 today.

I keep a little gold too but like it to be more valuable than just gold.

[​IMG][​IMG]

21. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

So you had the vision in 1985 to purchased a lot of Apple stock worth millions right now?
    If yes, good for you, not everyone had vision you have with Apple stock could worth millions today.
    If not, stock talk is just a dream, right?

22. tonoboon thread starter macrumors regular

tonoboon

If we talk about investment , Watch is not an option.
    As you said above, watch is wearable for 1st impression.
    So this is my watches collection. I just got the Apple Watch Edition.

[​IMG]

23. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

How about your gold car and gold house collection?
    Any gold teeth collection?
    Now I am so eager to see all of your expensive gold collection pics, keep it coming!

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Jealous much?

25. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Not at all.
    I am very sure my 24k collection in bank deposit box is larger and heavier, just don't see the need to take a pics and post it, or even talk about it too much.
    Maybe that's why I never like wearing any gold anything on my body, even I had 24k jewels but never wear them. Never see the need to bling it on my body.
    SS watch is just perfect for me.
    I think it is all depend on personality.