What Digital Camera To Get?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rollershapple, May 19, 2007.

1. Rollershapple macrumors regular

Hey everybody at MacRumors! Well In 3 weeks im going to vacation to boston, and im driving so ill be going through a lot of beautiful places. On the way back im going through canada and Im going to Niagra Falls. So Im thinking about getting a digital camera to take with me. So I have about a $150-$200 budget just for a simple point and shoot camera. So does anyone have any suggestions on what camera to get? Anyones that you use and are happy with that you would recommend?

Thanks,
    Casey

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

canon SD series is great or the nikon coolpix(c). I would suggest at least 5 megapixels but 6 would be better...
    search and there's tons of thread on P&S cameras.

3. Rollershapple thread starter macrumors regular

Well I've seen some decent 8 Megapixels for $200. and I've seen some 7MP ones for around $150...

4. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Its not always just about the Megapixels there are other many other features to consider.

5. Rollershapple thread starter macrumors regular

What features should I look for? Could you go more indepth?

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I have a Sony and have always loved sony cameras- rechargeable battery packs work great, memory stick prices have dropped drastically, etc. You can get a closeout Sony for less than $150 right now that is a 6mp camera, then add a $40 memory stick and you are set. I prefer sony memory stick cards, but there are off brand memory sticks that are even cheaper. Sony have good lens and very good software to navigate through on the camera. I think the sony is the most intuitive camera to navigate-

You will want to get the most optical zoom that you can afford- at least 3x optical...I wouldn't care about digital zoom as it is not usually good quality to use in most instances. I actually turn off my digital zoom so I get better quality pics of the kids.

I actually saw a DSC W50 which is the ultra compact 6mp sony that I have for around $165 on clearance at Staples or Sears recently.

Sony has the ultra compact line like the DSC W50 and then there is another line that is just compact size which are still small but a little thicker.

7. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Well like Image Stabilizing, Colour, Aspect ratio and so on...
    Some examples

8. Rollershapple thread starter macrumors regular

Wow thanks guys! Im thinking of either one of those kodaks, or a canon.

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

10. Rollershapple thread starter macrumors regular

Could someone explain to me why Canon are superior to all the rest? Right now im leaning towards a Kodak, but I dont want make a mistake.

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'd read up on some reviews here:

dpreview.com

12. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Kodak digital

I have a Kodak 2 megapixel camera with a 3x optical zoom. I do NOT use the digital zoom. The camera takes GREAT pictures. There is so much misconception that a 6 MP camera takes better pictures than a 2 MP camera. That just is not so. The more MP you have, the larger picture you can print. But if you only print 5 X 7 pictures, a 2 MP camera is great. But, prices of 4 and 5 MP have come down a lot. Obviously, an optical zoom of 6x is better than a 3x.

13. cube macrumors G5

Landscape. The only camera I see in that price range with at least 28mm wide is the Fujifilm Finepix E510.

It also has aperture and shutter priority, and manual focus so it looks pretty cool.

What it doesn't have is image stabilization, but I'd rather get the 28mm.

14. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes , I too am thinking about getting a p & s digicamera, i m thinking on going for a sd canon,....

15. seany916 macrumors 6502

Canon P&S cameras are really, really good. We run all Canon videocameras (4) and have one little P&S that been good for about 3 years and the pictures are still great.

That said, I use a Nikon dSLR.

16. cube macrumors G5

17. islandman macrumors 6502

I'd definitely go for a Canon SD series. I have used the SD600 and I love it. I still have my old S400 that I'm going to upgrade soon. I'm going to get the SD1000. :)

18. designimbus macrumors newbie

Go with a Canon

I would stay away from Kodaks personally. They are nowhere near the quality Canon offers. It is true that you might spend a bit more for a Canon but you get a much better camera with a better lens and better build quality. If you are just looking for a point and shoot, I would look at the SD series. But, if you would like some added features and more advanced controls you should look into the A series from canon. Many of them offer the same advanced controls found on SLRs.

19. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

If size isn't a huge issue I'd go with the Canon a95. I had it for a couple years and it takes great pictures. You can also adds lenses to it if you want to get more advanced without getting a new camera.

It can be had for $220 on Amazon and probably cheaper on eBay.

20. Rollershapple thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replys guys! Ok so right now im wondering if the view finder is absolutely nessesary? One of the cameras I am looking at is a Kodak C875, For $175 from buy.com It has all the features you guys have been discribing about canons. Its got 5x optical zoom, image stalization ect...
    So im gonna check into the Canon A series. I definitily want shutter speed option, in any camera I chose. I dont know about a wide lense or not. Do I need it? Its(camera) just for general picture taking, and a little lanscape. So anyone have any other cameras with those features, and price range they could suggest? Links? Can someone back me up about the Kodak? Is it decent for what I need?

21. cube macrumors G5

Looking at dpreview's conclusion about that Kodak, it seems it suffers from the same defect why I desisted from buying the V705: too much compression.

5 mpix is enough. Don't go preferring a camera just because it has more than this.

22. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

actually just because of this thread i checked bestbuy s website and the sd1000 is going for 249 CAD, i am going to go get one as soon as im done work at 3

23. cube macrumors G5

The A630 is also on sale this week for 20 CAD more, and it's a better camera. It comes with a free 2GB card.

The SD1000 is 279.

24. Rollershapple thread starter macrumors regular

Where is it on sale?

25. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster