What dimensions should my app's videos be?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by moonman239, Mar 4, 2014.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

The app is only for iPads, and it will only be used in portrait mode. So which dimensions should I use, 640x480, as mentioned in Apple's MPMoviePlayer class reference, or 1024x760, the dimension limit of the iPad 2? (I only have an iPad 2, therefore I don't want a retina video.)

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

Are these videos that will be included in your app? Just because you only have an iPad 2, does not mean that your potential customers will.

3. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes. Because of the type of app, I don't believe anyone would care about resolution.

4. IDMah macrumors 6502

IDMah

if they are tutorial videos make them small as possible.

Sales statics say that apps that need a wifi connection < 50 meg are less likely to get people to press the download button.

Also scaling is pretty fast on even my iphone 4 so depends on what the videos are. I'd say SD/720p should scale fairly well but run tests on slowest processor (Not simulator) or create a HD version for retina, because you know apple will be making screens. You want the app on as many devices as possible. Also H264 is pretty small file for decent quality.

Really like I said it depends on what the videos are.

just my thoughts.
    Ian

Ps. (resolution vs Screen size) and colour depth = perceived quality.
    a good codec will do wonders !!