What display shall i get for my Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mtatfluler, Oct 5, 2009.

1. mtatfluler macrumors member

Hi,

I have just purchased a Mac Pro and need a new, big display to go with it.
    I really like the 30-inch HD Cinema Display, but am worried about it being old technology, and it being refreshed very soon.

Preferably I'd like a matte display with high resolution. It will be used for photo/video editing.

Any suggestions, opinions and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Dell Ultrasharp 30 flavor.

god only knows when the 30" ACD is being released. Half of us are waiting on the edge of our seats, the others have already fallen flat on their face (and got the 24" ACD or some other brand).

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Dell is cheaper, NEC LCD3090WQXi is better. I wouldn't go with anything else.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

While the 30" ACD is still a highly capable and well regarded display, even though I own one I cannot, in good faith, recommend it now. I would look into Dell or HP (if HP has a 30"). Dell uses the same panel and if inputs are your flavor then it also offers more inputs, a lot more. I am not a fan of glossy so if that is your preference then I'm not sure what to tell you.

5. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Agreed. I don't know why any budget-minded professional would buy the ACD over an NEC or Dell, as most of these even use the exact same LCD panel. I don't like paying premiums just to have a shiny Apple logo on my monitor.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ Today yes, yesterday, not so much. If you asked me even 1.5 years ago I'd support the Apple movement, but today it's just not all that possible for me to do it with a straight face.

7. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I just don't understand how Apple can justify charging $500 more for the same panel. Oh, and don't even get me started on the pricing of the ACD 24"...and *shutter* mini displayport. Why putting standard DVI ports on computers like every other OEM is an issue I'll never figure out, my guess is it has something to do with money from adapter sales. Nickels and dimes, Apple, nickels and dimes.

8. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I got a Dell 27 – wonderful monitor and well recommended.

9. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Anything less than 2560x1600 on a monitor over 24" seems extremely stretched out to me.

10. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Hi Matt

If what you are using it for is serious photo and video editing where the color has got to be perfect, I'd say go ahead with the 30" ACD. Try to find one at a discount if you must like maybe refurb from Apple, but it's still a really great display for serious Photoshop.

I have only its little brothers the 23" and 20" and the color accuracy is phenomenal. The screens are perfect in every way except price. I put a Spyder on them and needed almost no tweaking to the color profile.

You can soon forget high price but will forever be cursed by a lesser display.

"It's got the same panel" many will say. Or does it?
    Panels are GRADED before being sold to monitor companies.... guess who get the best ones? The companies with the most expensive monitors!

There's more than a panel in a Display too. There's cases where "the same panel" did worse because of the interface board having analog and digital circuitry instead of digital only (like ACD).

"Older" Technology?
    Sure. But S-IPS is still one of if not the best for color accuracy. As well as for having a very wide viewing angle from any direction.

Oh, but LED backlights are coming out!
    Well, the florescent bulbs still work and do really well for years. The ACDs are Bright with a capital "B" if you want them to be and Apple has got the color just right.

Mini Display Port?
    No, the next one will probably have that. It might have a gloss screen though. You will have to wait a few months or maybe only weeks to find out.

Matte screen?
    The 30" ACD still has one of those too. Will its successor?

If you're buying a new Mac Pro and want a Huge, Color Accurate, Extremely Sharp and Clear display that's certified for color accuracy the ACD is still pretty hard to beat.

As a bonus, it integrates well with a Mac. Stuff like turning the Mac on and off with the monitor button, the monitor light winks gently when the Mac is asleep, you know, little insignificant stuff.

I'd say get one at Apple's Refurb store on their website. At $500 off list price, you won't feel bad if the new one comes out next week and you could always use it as a 2nd monitor (that can't be MiniDisplay Port)

Have Fun,
    Keri

11. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Investigations have proven time and time again that the 30" ACD uses the same LCD panel, with the same color gamut and accuracy, as similar (and cheaper) offerings from Dell, NEC, and even HP. Like I said, buying an Apple display is little more than paying a huge premium for a pretty enclosure and a shiny Apple logo.

12. ssri1983 macrumors newbie

+1
    NEC is more expensive than Apple, but definitely worth it. typing this on my NEC 3090 :)

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

I agree.

Maybe an Eizo Nanao as well, and the ColorEdge line is IPS based. Not exactly the least expensive way to go though, and both the Dell and NEC will offer more bang-for-the-buck as a result.