What display should I buy for my MBP..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Brelaine, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Brelaine macrumors newbie

when I can't afford a mac display.

I am currently using a Samsung Syncmaster 2343 on my PC and I am very happy with it, but when I use it on my mac I get some waviness in the screen, dunno if it's from going from the Mini Display Port to DVI adapter.

Besides that I am looking to set up a better work area for my macbook: display, keyboard and mouse Right now I use all my pc peripherals when I want to do anything serious on my mac which is more and more often!

SO I was wondering if anyone has a display they are currently using with their mac that they are happy with.

Another small question semi-related question. I really love the feel of my macbook's keyboard but did not see on apple.com if any of their keyboards where illuminated?

Thanks a bunch!
    Bre

2. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Two monitors come to mind which should be as nice as a Cinema display but roughly half the price.

Dell Ultrasharp U2410
    HP LP2475W

Both use H-IPS panels same as the Cinema display but they use CCFLs rather than LEDs for a back light.

Another option is the Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA. This monitor is about half as much as the HP and other Dell, but does have more limited connections and uses a eIPS panel rather than H-IPS panel. Basically it uses a much cheaper back light for the LCD.

I personally have a Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP (last years model), and it works great with my Macbook Pro.

Any other displays you see priced less than these three will be use a TN panel (6 bit color) rather than IPS and PVA (8 bit color)

Also these three models have superior viewing angles, stands, warranties, and are 16:10 aspect ratio rather than 16:9 or even 4:3.

3. Brelaine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply!

I will take a look at these models.

Thanks again!
    Bre

4. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I use Syncmaster P2350. I love this monitor, has touch of color and magic color the picture looks amazing.

5. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

i suggest anything from the dell ultrasharp range, they are very reasonably priced and good screens [​IMG]

6. spacemanps macrumors regular

spacemanps

I bought the Dell 2409w.. i got it for like 280.. i like it, its got a beautiful picture.. its no ultra sharp.. but was in my budget and got good review at CNET

7. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Both of these LCDs listed by these members are TN panels and in fact many of the smaller ultrasharps are TN panels these days. You can always tell from the viewing angles in the specs, only IPS or PVA type panels have 178 degree viewing angles.
    I was able to pick my ultrasharp 2408wfp for just over $300, so watch the prices, and as far as I know the 2209WA should be able to be purchased for just over $200. The newer Dell and HP LP2475 usually are priced about $400-$500.

Buying a 2209WA for just over $200

8. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I doubly recommend a dell 24" as well. The new 2410's are great, with a nice display. They have a built in card reader and USB hub, so you can just leave your USB stuff hooked up to the display.

I think they offer a less expensive 24" version with a USB hub, although I am not sure.

If you can find an older 23" ACD they are great monitors as well. They also have the built in USB and a firewire hub, but no card reader.

9. ste1989 macrumors member

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

11. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I'm partial to the Samsung HDTV/Monitors, such as the Syncmaster T220HD, T240HD, or T260HD. The advantage of them is that they can be you second monitor or a TV. They have a DVI port, VGA Port, Component Inputs, and Two HDMI ports.

TEG

12. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Another Dell 2410 vote, which will do TV as well

Ports:
    Video Graphics Array (VGA)
    Digital Visual Interface - Digital (DVI-D) with HDCP
    DisplayPort(DP)
    Component
    Composite
    High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)
    Built-in Devices
    Media Card Reader and USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Hub (with 1 USB upstream port and 4 USB downstream ports)

Pickup a mini display port to display port cable for $6 and lose the adapters

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024606&p_id=6007&seq=1&format=2

13. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

That is awesome! I I am looking at the U2410, too, didn't realize there was such a simple way to hook it up.

14. davidlv macrumors 65816

Not about the monitor, but...

Do a search in the Macbbok Pro forum for mStand, there are many pictured threads on good setups. You can also find it on the Apple Store HP. None of the external keyboards are Backlit. Personally, I like the wired keyboard with keypad, personal taste, they are, keyboards.