Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danchurchill123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
Since I can't get the 24inch Apple display since i have an "older" (.....) macbook without spending over $200 AUD on a converter that has it's own powersupply (!) I'm in the market for another one from either HP or Dell.
Which is the best regardless of price for 22/23inch ?

EDIT: i've been looking at the Dell UltraSharp U2410 Monitor (24inch) and the HP 2309m 23 inch Diagonal Full HD LCD Monitor (FV588AA). the main difference i can see is that the dell is IPS based whilst the HP one is TFT. what's the difference between the two? I can't seem to find alot of information on IPS.

foodle

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
All LCD displays use TFTs (thin film transistors). How they are arranged/shaped/used differs between TN (twisted nematic), VA (vertical alignment), and IPS (in-plane switching) LCD panels. Each type has pluses and minuses. Look here ( http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php ) for a brief tutorial.

In general, the IPS panels are used in the most expensive displays. Most people who want a quality display will choose a VA or IPS one. Hardcore gamers will go for TN, since they have the lowest response time.

danchurchill123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
All LCD displays use TFTs (thin film transistors). How they are arranged/shaped/used differs between TN (twisted nematic), VA (vertical alignment), and IPS (in-plane switching) LCD panels. Each type has pluses and minuses. Look here ( http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php ) for a brief tutorial.

In general, the IPS panels are used in the most expensive displays. Most people who want a quality display will choose a VA or IPS one. Hardcore gamers will go for TN, since they have the lowest response time.

well i'm not using the monitor for gaming. so leaning toward the dell.

foodle

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Keep in mind that most manufacturers (except :apple:) have a cheap line of displays and more expensive ones. Some Dell displays use TN, others VA, and others IPS. Same with HP. So don't think that just because you "got a Dell" you're automatically getting a high quality panel.

What is your price range?

The Dell 2209WA is a nice IPS panel for cheap (~$200 on sale).

danchurchill123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
Keep in mind that most manufacturers (except :apple:) have a cheap line of displays and more expensive ones. Some Dell displays use TN, others VA, and others IPS. Same with HP. So don't think that just because you "got a Dell" you're automatically getting a high quality panel.

What is your price range?

The Dell 2209WA is a nice IPS panel for cheap (~$200 on sale).

well the Dell UltraSharp U2410 Monitor (24inch) is pretty good. anyone got one ? price range is up to $1000. and the one i mentioned is like $900 AUD and it's IPS panel.
BenQ looks really stylish. but there is no pricing on their website and comparing the models is impossible since i can't tell the difference between the E, G, M and whatever other series there are..

EDIT: i should also mention im going to be using this an external monitor to plug my macbook into. so how does that fair as far as supported resolutions go ?

illibball087

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2009
for under 1000 you can get almost anything dell is having a sale on their 27 inch PVA ultrasharp 2709 monitor which looks really good you could also look at hp's ips lp2475w 24 incher. stay away from the dell 2408wfp because its color and text sharpness is poor. Try to get something that is at least 1920x1200

Your macbook should be fine up with resolutions up to 1920x1200 idk if you can get up to 2560x1600

danchurchill123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
for under 1000 you can get almost anything dell is having a sale on their 27 inch PVA ultrasharp 2709 monitor which looks really good you could also look at hp's ips lp2475w 24 incher. stay away from the dell 2408wfp because its color and text sharpness is poor. Try to get something that is at least 1920x1200

Your macbook should be fine up with resolutions up to 1920x1200 idk if you can get up to 2560x1600

yeah macbook can run up to 1920x1200.
and that screen is $1500! lol. should have mentioned my limit is $1000 AUD not USD. ;)
looks like the U2410 from Dell is the go for me then. unless someone gives me a really good reason not to get it / go for something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.