What display would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by goramsey, Mar 21, 2009.

1. goramsey macrumors newbie

I now have a 20 inch 2GHz imac (non intel). I love it. But I am getting pretty excited about the Panasonic HMC150 camcorder which requires Intel only mac. I have been checking out imacs in forums and have encountered a large amount of people who have new imacs that have a serious left - right screen problem of dark on one side, light on the other. Many have been returned to Apple for replacement and still have the same problem. Many Apple techs will admit it, others tow the Apple line. So, I am a little skittish about the whole deal. No matter what I purchase I will use my Pantone color spyder for screen calibration.

In trying to save money I have heard from a number of people that Dell Ultra Sharp is very good in 20 or 22 inch. My general idea is to possibly skip imac and go Mac Pro with a Dell display or maybe another brand of display.

Any ideas?

Anyway, those are my thoughts for the moment.

2. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Remember, that forums will always error on the side of the appearance of more problems as people less frequently post about perfect machines.

That said, if you are concerned about another all-in-one machine, you might want to consider the new Mac Mini. I imagine it would be a huge step forward from your current iMac and significantly less expensive than the Mac Pro.

3. jota73 macrumors 6502

jota73

I have a been a Mac user for the last 8 years, and none of the computers I have owned (iMac, Mac Pro desktop) had any display problem.

I would recommend getting the new LED Apple Display if size is not a key feature, else wait until the new ones

4. MCHR macrumors regular

Apple displays are ridiculously overpriced for their size and contrast ratios.

I have an HP 2465 at work. A few years old, I know, but IMHO, an outstanding value, considering it's a 24", and can be had for under $475. Look into Samsung, HP as an alternative to Apple. Apple has to get their collective heads out of their a$$es, cost wise. Greater value can be had from other monitors.

I'm at it all day, so no complaints of eye strain, it's a matte finish, and no dead spots.

Best

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I would definitely recommend Dell for displays I have the Dell 2005FPW right in front of me and It's turing 4 years old this year and still looks amazing. The adjustability of the display is nice and has come in handy more than a few times.

The Apple ones are ok they cannot adjust and they don't have as many connections.

6. goramsey thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple Display

What new Apple displays are you referring to?

And thanks all for your valuable input!

Cheers,

7. L0s7man macrumors 6502

If you digg the glossy finish, get a display from Apple. If you rather die than have 22/24" mirror, get a Dell ;-)

Just check the Dell reviews - there are amazing ones (which cost a bit) and rather low-quality ones (which are amazingly cheap).

I personally plan to get a 24" Dell to accompany 24" iMac, so I could use matte screen to work/etc and glossy to play games and watch films.

That pretty much sums it up.