What do .avi .mkv files look like on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lobeyonekenobi, Jun 28, 2012.

1. lobeyonekenobi, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone with a rMBP has played any movies with avi or other file formats on it and what it looks like, knowing this will make my mind up if these files look bad.

I am looking to upgrade from my 2010 13" C2D MBP, and like everyone else am tossing up between the rMBP and the non rMBP. I'm leaning more to the non rMBP as I have the option of whacking a SSD in it down the track whereas on the retina, I can't do that :(

Lastly what would the difference in speed be between my 13" and the 2012 MBPs???????????

2. stevelam macrumors 65816

The real world difference in speed will largely depend on what you usually do. If you're just a web browsing/music listening/word processing person, you will basically notice no difference in speed at all.

3. lobeyonekenobi thread starter macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

The most demanding thing I do is convert video files for my Apple TV, and iPad. The difference in converting these on my iMac for instance is about 30 mins for an average movie.

I was going to upgrade my RAM to 8GB as I'm getting the beachball a bit too much lately and I've just replaced a HD that was going bad.

4. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

My 1080p AVI videos look great on the Retina display.

I've also played a number of MKVs in VLC and those look fine too. They're pretty low res (720x400 or something like that) but they're perfectly serviceable. The subtitles are in comparison extremely crisp though so you will see a difference.

If you use VLC make sure you use the 2.0.2 nightly though, that's the version which is Retina optimized.

5. puke macrumors regular

You can't pop a SSD in the retina later because it already has SSD as standard. :)

6. lobeyonekenobi thread starter macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

Thanks for the reply The MacBook Pro, A lot of my files are of reasonable quality, I try to download mkv or 1080p as they're of higher quality than avi to divx and I have a large download limit, and look fine on my 13"MBP, I was just worried they'll look shocking on the rMBP, but you've put my mind at rest on that.

As for the non upgradeability of the rMBP as you mentioned Puke, I think I could live with a 256GB SSD as until I changed the HDD on this a couple of months back from a 250GB to a 500GB, but not having the choice to upgrade is the other reason holding me back from a rMBP, but it is just soooooo gorgeous:p:p:p. There is also a maxed out MacBook Air, 8GB RAM, 512GBSSD and i7 for I think the same price as the rMBP, oh God why does Apple always make it soo difficult:D

7. puke macrumors regular

I got my rMBP a couple of days ago. If you don't go with the rMBP you'll regret it. It's gorgeous and the new slim design is stunning. And it's a beast too. :)

8. lobeyonekenobi thread starter macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

Yeah I know I'd regret it if I didn't buy it, and I know the RevB will be better and maybe upgradeable, but I don't want to wait another year or however long it will be although I may wait until they ship them with Mountain Lion, well I suppose with the backlog they have at the moment I'll have no choice but to wait for ML;);), but it's good to hear you're happy with it:):):)