What do I buy to Bootcamp Windows 7 on an iMac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Turnpike, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

I want to run Windows 7 on a 27" iMac. Only the Windows 7, it's for a family member who will only enjoy using Windows 7 and who will REALLY enjoy the look and all-in-one of a iMac. I am buying a new iMac, so what do I need for the bootcamp side?

Do I need a stand-alone Windows 7 licence? (like, should I find a Windows 7 licence on Ebay (since they are no longer available from Microsoft) and is there a version that works better than another? (Windows Ultimate VS Home Premium)

Or can I use the key off an old laptop, provided I have an install disk? I don't want a hack or sneaky cheat, because if there's ever a problem I want to be able to reinstall everything and so on. Any direction from those who've done it and found an advantage one way or another would be very much appreciated...

Thanks in advance!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You need a copy of whatever version of Windows but 7 can be a real pain to bootcamp...I get why you don't want 8 but some newer hardware drivers aren't that great. I know Apple have released new bootcamp packages, but I think they are all geared for 8

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Microsoft's licensing prohibits you using Windows from another computer. They do allow transferring the license, so if you don't use that laptop any more and the version of windows is not the OEM version (the one that came with the laptop) then you can use it.

Generally speaking bootcamp only gives you the ability to boot into windows, but you need to buy a copy of the OS.

4. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

So if I were to buy a retail software package, is there any word on if Bootcamp would work better with a lighter simpler Windows 7 like Home, or with Windows 7 Ultimate...?

5. kfury77 macrumors regular

kfury77

Why don't you get Windows 8 instead? It's a better OS and will be supported by Microsoft (and Apple!) for longer.

6. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

Because the Windows 7 is for my Mom to use, she would MUCH more enjoy something she's familiar with rather than explore something new, that's why I'd be putting Windows on it in the first place. I know what you mean though, but in this case I really want/need to keep it Windows 7.

Is there any benefit from using Windows 7 Home or Windows 7 Ultimate...?

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Unless you have a specific need for any of Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate's extra features (networking, additional languages) or have a system with more than 16 GB of RAM, Home Premium will be sufficient.