What do I call it?`

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aikido Kid, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Aikido Kid macrumors newbie

My parents gave me their old mac and I would like to know what to call it? It's oneof the ones that have the guts behind the monitor, maybe all macs do, I don't know. It runs on 10.3.9 and has emac on the top of the monitor. Right now I'm loving the iTunes and Garageband, but I know it can do so much more.

Like the title states, what do I call this version? A Leopard...What?

How old is this? Am I going to be able to do a lot with it or is it so old that most "upgrades" won't work on it?

Why won't it recognize the iPod Nano?

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

eMac is the name of the computer. Here's a website with specs:

http://lowendmac.com/imacs/

If you scroll down, there are a few variations of the eMac depending on the processor speed. As you can see, they were made anywhere between 2002 and 2005.

To determine your processor speed and amount of memory installed, go to the Apple menu in the top left, then click "About This Mac" and you'll see a screen with info, that looks like this:

[​IMG]

OS X version 10.3.x is called Panther. 10.4.x is Tiger, and 10.5.x is Leopard. We're currently on 10.6.x, Snow Leopard, so you are a few revisions out of date. In addition, the eMac uses the older PowerPC G4 processor, while modern Macs have now switched to intel processors.

The eMac is still quite usable, but it depends on what you are doing with it. You won't be able to run any Windows stuff (needs Intel) or any modern application that's intel-only, but older versions of Safari, iLife apps, Microsoft Office, etc. would run just fine.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You probably need to update iTunes.

4. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Depending on what iPod it is, it may require iTunes 8 and above, which in turn requires 10.4 and unfortunately the OP has 10.3.9 which won't be compatible.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

And thus, it will not run Snow Leopard at all. Leopard, maybe, but processor speed and RAM will determine that.

P.S. This thread really "belongs" in the Mac Basics and Help forum. I know it says "anything" for the Comm. Dis. forum, but anything doesn't mean anything in this instance. People who come here to offer help might not see your thread if they don't also visit CD.

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

You could use the report post tool to alert the mods to this information. They might then be able to do something about it.

P.S. I've already reported it now, you don't have to.

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I know the eMacs run Tiger quite well, but I think Leopard would be pushing it. Some have reported that Leopard runs well on their G4 machines (later model PowerBooks etc) but I wouldn't do it unless it was at least a 1.0 GHz G4with maxed out memory.

Aikido Kid, if you plan to keep the eMac around to play with it, try to find a Tiger install disc (e.g. on eBay). Quite a few apps are still available that will run on Tiger.

8. Aikido Kid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this, and wow...the responses were fast. I'll take these tips and see what I got. Really, the only things I want use are Garageband, iTunes and the internet. Maybe the odd dvd burn but the main focus is the Garageband. That program is so much fun to use and it's made real simple.

All Hail the mac!!!:apple:

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

But beware! You need a "retail" disc, which is black with a large "X" on it. Don't buy a set of gray discs. Those are machine specific, and will most likely not be for your old eMac. They won't work for you.