What do I choose?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randomhkkid, Apr 10, 2015.

1. randomhkkid, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

randomhkkid macrumors member

So after a series of faults with my 2012 15" retina 2.6ghz Apple has agreed to replace my laptop with a new 2015 model. The thing is that the '2015' 15" model is only a very small bump from the 2014 model unlike the 13" model that is a proper refresh.

My dilemma is that I've already made the decision to switch to a Microsoft surface pro 4 when it's released (I'm a student and that stylus sells it for me) so in terms of raw re-sale value 4 months down the line what do you guys think will fetch more as the 15" is likely to have been refreshed again with skylake/broadwell.

In the mean time the laptop will be used lightly, however not much as I own a desktop that serves as my main machine.

TLDR; Top of the line 15" vs top of the line 13" MBP Retina resale value in ~4months.

n.b This is a very special case where the laptop has been repaired 6 times in 3 years.

2. bmclaurin macrumors member

bmclaurin

If the 15" gets updated in that timeframe, then it seems the 13" would be the safer bet in terms of resale value.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

4. randomhkkid thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, even with the current $700 difference in starting price and the re-sale value Macs seem to enjoy?

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes. Most definitely. The 15" is a boat anchor.

6. randomhkkid thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for the help, I've also just found out Apple are letting me keep my old one :eek:

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Okay wait a minute. They're replacing your machine AND letting you keep the old one? Hah, I wish my local Apple Stores were that nice... :confused:

8. bmclaurin, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

bmclaurin macrumors member

bmclaurin

Sounds like you've got your dilemma resolved, but I was puzzled by this question. If you're concerned about "resale value," I assume your real concern is depreciation (the difference between purchase price and the eventual sales price on disposition). If that's the case, then the "starting price" (which I take to mean initial purchase price) is only indirectly relevant to the analysis. The real question is how much will the the value *change* between initial purchase and eventual sale. It was in that context that I recommended the 13" because the current 15" model's resale value will drop considerably more than the 13" once the 15" model is updated (presumably sometime this year), meaning you would lose more (on a net basis) on a purchase and sale of the current 15" model versus that of the new 13" model.

Sorry for the ramble and lecture...

EDIT: Oh, I see. After re-reading your initial post, I had forgotten that you said Apple was going to give you (free of charge) a new model. My rambling, lecturing post was in the context of an actual purchase.

Now I understand your initial question better. In your case, you're trying to determine what will be worth the most in 4 months' time when you dispose of it. And given that the 15" model commands a premium price over the 13", will that premium be upheld once the 15" gets updated. That's really the question you are asking, and I kind of glossed over that when I originally responded. However, after further thought, I still would venture a guess that a top of the line 2015 13" would fare better on the resale market than an 2014 15" (which would presumably then be out-of-date).