What do I do for a PDA now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Wolfpup, May 18, 2007.

1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Ugh. I just broke my Palm E2 (a replacement for a TX that died after 8 months, etc.) I'm not sure what to do for a PDA.

-Windows Mobile's out, as I've tried two Axims, and had HUGE problems with both (one randomly skipped syncing some appointments, the other crashed constantly, and sometimes wiped out my documents when it crashed). (Plus I'd prefer not to use Microsoft whenever possible)

-Palm...well Palm hasn't even tried in years. The whole line up stinks, but at least it's more or less functional. I just hate buying another one.

-Apple? The iPhone looks like it's SOOOO close to being useable as a PDA for me. It needs a word processor and spreadsheet, and not much more. I don't think it's impossible either Apple will offer/include one, or a third party will develop one. I hate the price, and can't use it as a phone on my carrier...but maybe...
    There's also the rumored 6G iPod, which might be kind of an iPhone without the phone. Throw a word processor and spreadsheet on it and I'm sold. But how long until it comes out? A lot of ifs to this plan...

-Nokia? Sony?-these guys both make devices that look so close to being usable as a PDA...but both are missing all the necessary software, so they're out.

DOH. I'll probably end up with a Z22, just because it's cheap :/

2. mpw Guest

Nokia e90 or SE P1i.

The Nokia is due very soon with the SE a few months away, personally the e90 looks awesome, but what software are you missing?

3. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Basically I need good basic PIM apps that sync well with the Mac or Windows, support alarms, etc. Plus the ability to open word processing and spreadsheet files, a countdown timer of some sort, and...probably something else I'm forgetting.

I used to do way more with my PDAs, but they're so junky now I've cut way back. Those are pretty much the basics I need.

4. mpw Guest

Well I'm 99% sure the e90 fits the bill and 70% sure the SE will too. I'm itching to get my hands on the e90, I had a 9300i and sold it, then recently got it back and can't imagine getting rid of it again. The e90 seems to be about as much phone as anybody could possibly need.

5. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Would those work for me even though I wouldn't be using the phone part? They actually sync up with iCal and can open office documents and stuff like that?

That one Nokia internet tablet seems like it would be pefect...except it's missing all kinds of software I need (like even PIM apps I think).

6. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

Here is a thread I can truly help on. Don't veer away from windows mobile because of DELL axims! I have an HP iPaq rx3115 and I absolutely love it. It has word and excel on it for your word processing and spreadsheets and it has windows media player, internet explorer, wifi, bluetooth all packed behind a fairly fast 300mhz ARM processor running Windows Mobile 2003SE. The best part is that I got it on ebay for only $115!

As far as syncing goes, I know of two solutions. One is the Pocket Mac which plugs into iSync and works with iCal, iTunes, iPhoto, Mail, Address Book...etc. The other is Mark/Space's The Missing Sync which has its own suite of software. Either uses iSync to communicate with the Pocket PC. Hope this helps!

By the way, I'd go with HP if you are going to get a pocket pc.:D

7. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

None of the Palm smart phones interest you? I would stay away from PDA's if I were you, they are a dying breed. Smart phones are the future. And yes I traveled into the future to gather that information. ;)

8. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

I just realized something...Blackberry's aren't usable as real PDAs, are they? My phone company offers three, the 8703e, 7250, and 7130e. All would cost me $500, and the 8703e looks like it would be the most powerful. But I don't really know anything about Blackberries. I don't care about mobile email AT ALL, and just need good PIM apps that synce WELL with both iCal and something on Windows, office apps, and a timer pretty much.

$500's a lot, but on the other hand, if it would actually work as a PDA, and I could use it as a phone, that would be pretty cool!

Palm's PDAs with phones in them seem just as bad to me, and cost way more (looks like they start at $400). My carrier only offers those three blackberries, so I'd just be buying an unlocked Treo that I couldn't use as a phone.

Hmm. Interesting. Do you think it would work okay with Windows too? Microsoft's syncing software seems totally broken, and at least until the new Macbook Pros come out I'm stuck on Windows for now.

But...if one of those can actually sync reliably with iCal, etc. and is stable, that might work. Amazon's got the (very strange) HP IPAQ rx4200 for $260

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is something like a blackberry out of the question? I have the new 8703 and it's freakin' amazing.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Palm sounds like they do what you need....and I know you don't really want to go that route, but if its works!

11. student101 macrumors member

You need the Nokia E62. It does everything you need and then some. It does NOT run Windoze Mobile. Plays VERY nice with iCal and Addressbook via iSync and has document viewers for .pdf, Word, Excel, and even .rtf files. It has a full browser and email. It plays a lot nicer if you flash it with the original Nokia software and get rid of all the Cingular crap. PM me if you want more info.

12. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

do ppl still use PDA's? ;)

i sold mine last year and since been using a smartphone ..

haven't looked back.. the nokia s60 range are pretty good :)

13. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have a palm tx that I use to read ebooks. Wife has an Ipaq 1950 she also uses to read ebooks. Can't really find just an ebook reader or I wouldn't have a pda

14. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

That's what I'm wondering. My cell phone company offers the 8703e-so maybe the same thing you have! It looks like it would sync with iCal and Outlook, but doesn't have Office support. It looks like Dataviz is working on a Blackberry Docs to Go program, but it's not out, and it doesn't mention the 8700 series as being supported.

I'm not completely closed to a phone/PDA even if I can't use the phone part, but it seems like it would be more expensive, and I'm not sure how well it would work (plus I need to edit all this info, not just view it).

15. student101 macrumors member

Why carry a phone AND a pda? I just carry one. Who is you cell phone service provider? Most will let you upgrade your phone for a significantly reduced cost if you extend you contract. And most of the file "viewing" software allows you to do basic editing to Word and Excel documents, nothing fancy, but anything you can do on a "stand-alone" pda. I'm telling you, the Nokia E62 sounds like it's just what you need. I couldn't be happier. Especially if you flash it with the original Nokia software and get rid of the Cingular crap.

16. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

If I could, I would, but...

I've got U.S. Cellular, which is fantastic (MASSIVELY better deal than anybody else + MUCH better coverage around here + much better customer service), but the drawback is they don't have anything that could be termed a smartphone besides those three Blackberries, which don't seem to have all the features I need.

17. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

my blackberry pearl can open excel, word, adobe, and ppt files- I can't edit them on the device, though (I believe the 8800 can). However, any CDMA carrier is going to have less capable smartphones, because everything comes out as GSM first.

That said, the 8703e (cdma version of the 8700) is probably capable of opening documents, and not editing them. I don't know for sure since I haven't used a blackberry running anything less than 4.2.

Love my blackberry, never going back to a PDA. I always have my phone, so my alerts and whatnot actually work. It's great.

18. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

That's neat to know it can at least open those documents, although I don't think that's good enough in my case. My iPod can already do text files, and display my calender without being able to interact with it (which is still better than nothing!)

19. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Well, a brief spot of research tells me that the 8703 can natively open Word, Excel, Powerpoint, wordperfect, jpg, pdf, and gif. However, blackberries are highly expandable and customizeable (at least the GSM ones are, some of the CDMA carriers are kind of notorious for looking down the expandability) and I believe eOffice (not free, but cheaper than a new PDA) allows you to edit documents, and I know it does spreadsheets that are fully import/export compatible with excel. I've been meaning to get it for my phone, but am waiting for my boss to pay for it as i don't personally need it for anything but work.

20. student101 macrumors member

Hmmm... yes, having US Cellular does limit you a little bit. I assume they are a CDMA network? If so, I think I would go with a Treo or Blackberry Pearl.

21. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Is there a Blackberry related site that would have more info about those things?

Can't. Neither's offered, just those three Blackberrys.

22. student101 macrumors member

If all you want is a PDA, why not just get a Palm TX? It has Wi-Fi for internet and email, microsoft office, bluetooth, and tons of third-party software. Setting it up to sync with iCal and AddressBook is a pain, but once you get Mark/Space Missing sync software, it works great (don't have a TX, I have a Z22 but syncing should be the same for both). What more could one ask for? I know you wanted to avoid Palm, but they really are the best when it comes to stand-alone PDA's, especially if you want to avoid Windoze. Check it out:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/handhelds/tx/

23. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

i agree with some of the above posters, get a palm smart phone.
    I tried to use a windows mobile 5 device, (honest, bought one, used it for 6 months), and it was terrible.
    Finally, I got a treo 650 off of ebay. have a look around - the TX is $300 (new), I got a good condition treo for $100 on ebay. Love it!
    Just my 2 cents.
    Nick

24. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

I had one, died after 8 months. The E2 was it's replacement (noticiblier slower and buggier than the TX). I just can't justify spending that much on another TX (though ironically I'd spend more on a PDA *COUGHIPOD* from Apple if it handled the basics :)

I suppose I should just get myself a Z22 or E2 again, but I hate having to do it :(

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, thank you for the info on the Missing Sync! It's great to hear that it really does work. (I've been really disappointed by the Mac version of Palm Desktop.)

I probably would if my carrier supported them. But as it is, I would just be spending $400 for basically an E2, since I can't use the phone part of it.

25. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

www.crackberry.com

the gurus on the forums should be able to answer any question you could possibly come up with!