Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imamully

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
OK - I used Seas0n Pass to jailbreak my atv2, and followed the directions for loading xbmc. I have everything up and running and looking good, what do I do now? How do I get repos to my atv2? What other cool things can I do and how do I do them? Any suggestions from the Pros?

bmacir

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
OK - I used Seas0n Pass to jailbreak my atv2, and followed the directions for loading xbmc. I have everything up and running and looking good, what do I do now? How do I get repos to my atv2? What other cool things can I do and how do I do them? Any suggestions from the Pros?

You uninstall xbmc and install Plex. :)

DrEnalg

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
East Bay, CA
You uninstall xbmc and install Plex. :)

Plex = transcodes video.

XBMC = no transcoding, plays all formats natively.

Seems like a no brainer to me. I'm sure Plex is probably pretty good but it seems like the above is a recipe for slowing down one's experience? Maybe I'm wrong.

To answer the OP's question, your next step is to look into downloading and installing addons for XBMC (e.g., video, audio and programs).

Not a particularly current, but reasonably representative list of addons you can get for XBMC to increase the content: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=List_of_working_plugins

NOTE: many of the addons may offer content that's legally questionable in your country, particularly if you live in the US. Be warned and use your own judgement and ethical calculus to decide whether you want to install these addons (e.g., Icefilms, Navi-X, and FastpassTV are repositories of a huge amount of copyrighted content).

However, many just make use of "scraper" software and aggregate content already freely available on the web - which is pretty cool. The Crackle Video addon, the Music Video Jukebox, PBS and Food Network Addons are a few favs of mine.

In short, there's lots of routes for using XBMC to drastically increase the functionality of your ATV2. It may take some tinkering, but it's fun and worth it.

bmacir

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
Plex = transcodes video.

XBMC = no transcoding, plays all formats natively.

Seems like a no brainer to me. I'm sure Plex is probably pretty good but it seems like the above is a recipe for slowing down one's experience?

Well, not in my experience. I'm a big Plex fan, I find it to be not slow at all, very stable and easy to use. If you try it, you wont look back. Besides, I think it transcodes only if it it is necessary, but I'm not so sure about that.

Maybe you should both try it out and judge by yourselves.

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
The latest versions of Plex don't transcode video that doesn't need it. Plex also fits much better than XBMC into the apple UI than XBMC.

DrEnalg

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
East Bay, CA
Well, not in my experience. I'm a big Plex fan, I find it to be not slow at all, very stable and easy to use. If you try it, you wont look back. Besides, I think it transcodes only if it it is necessary, but I'm not so sure about that.

Maybe you should both try it out and judge by yourselves.

Fair enough - I just have to find the time to get around to installing it and getting it up and running. I've toyed with the idea of having both installed so I could compare and contrast but now that I've got XBMC going with a variety of addons and my library fairly well-represented my motivation is low.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.