What do I do? (shattered 4S running iOS 7)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by N e e k, Jun 19, 2013.

1. N e e k macrumors 6502

So I've installed iOS 7 on my 4S and I loved it. I've had my 4S since it came out, and I skipped out on the 5 and currently waiting for the 5s/6. I didn't think the 5 was necessary and LTE wasn't really worth it because I'm on Sprint, and I figured since their LTE is so poor I'd be on 3G most of the time anyway.

Fast forward today - I'm moving books around on my desk trying to get organized, and, while I moved a book it hit my phone and my phone fell down on my floor, and completely shattered. Back shattered, front screen actually came off the phone.

Now, I don't know what to do. I don't want to spend $300-$500 on a new phone. T-mobile, however, has the iPhone 4s for $70 and the iPhone 5 for $150... i could ditch Sprint and create a contract there. I just don't want to buy an iPhone 5 four months before the release of a new one. It's pointless for me. The whole point of keeping the 4S was because I wanted the 5S/6.

Should I just borrow an old Android from my buddy and wait it out? What would you guys do?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i'd take it to apple and get an out of warranty replacement. i think it's $149 plus tax. before going, i'd make sure to take off ios 7.

:edit:

it looks like the oow replacement for the 4s is $199 plus tax. that's when i'd maybe think of borrowing your buddy's android for a few months. and if you like it, there are a couple great android phones you could switch to now.

3. N e e k thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, now he's telling me that he needs the Android and is offering me an old blackberry. Also, I don't think they'd notice it's running iOS 7 - the whole screen is off.

4. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Pictures?! I have never heard of a screen coming entirely off before (In fact, you would have to drop the device catastrophically for the LCD/Digitiser to entirely separate from the phone.

Anyways, you can buy a new front and back and install it yourself for ~$80, or take it to Apple and get a replacement for the price quoted in my signature.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Okay, this all seems irrelevant. So you're not thrilled about the iPhone 5? That answers your question (and so did I below).

I'd buy the iPhone 4s on TMO.

Explain to me please, why would he need to remove iOS 7?

6. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

If you're a developer running iOS7 what are u afraid of?

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This is a "should I buy now or wait" thread in disguise. Clever OP. Clever! You made me click!

8. siurpeeman, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

a couple years back, an apple genius refused to replace my 3gs (out of warranty) because it had the developer-released gm of ios 4 on it.

9. N e e k thread starter macrumors 6502

Doesn't buying the 4S on TMO put me in another 2 year contract? Because if I wanted the 5S/6 I would just have to pay full price to buy it, correct?

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if i needed to hold out for the next iphone and didn't want to pay $199 to get the 4s fixed, i'd buy a nokia lumia 521. it's $130 at walmart, and you could probably sell the 4s for parts to cover the bulk of the cost. there's a thread about the phone here.

11. N e e k thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I might just pay the $200 for a 4S.

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

If you get the 5
    Get the 5 on T-Mobile for $150,
    make about 4 months worth of the $20/mo payments on it.
    You'll still owe $400 on your 5 when the 5S comes out in October.
    Sell your 5 for $350 in October
    Use the $350 to help pay off the $400 you owe on the 4S
    Pay $150 for the down payment on the 5S
    So basically you'll come out of pocket ~$200 to get the 5S in October

If you get the 4S
    Pay $70 down payment on the 4S
    make about 4 months worth of $20/mo payments on it
    You'll still owe $400 on your 4S when the 5S comes out in October
    Sell your 4S for $250 in October
    Use the $250 to help pay off the $400 you owe on the 4S
    Pay $150 for the down payment on the 5S
    So basically you'll come out of pocket ~$300 to get the 5S in October
    (an added negative of getting the 4S is that you'll have to deal with the spotty 1900mhz refarmed 3G on Tmo instead of having support for the native AWS network like with the 5).

My advice, get the 5.

13. N e e k, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

N e e k thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. How's the service on T-mobile? 3G and LTE? Are they any good? The only issue is I have a family plan (like, 7 iPhones) on Sprint, so I don't know how much of a hassle it'd be to leave them.

14. CEmajr macrumors 601

Works great for me and much faster than Sprint. But you would be best to check their coverage in your own area on their website first to make sure they have 3G where you live.

15. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you might have a problem. looking at t-mobile's site, it looks like family plans max out at five lines. also, are all 7 lines contract free? you might need to pay $$$ to leave sprint if a few of those are on contract.

16. N e e k thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. I'm probably going to get a replacement 4S for $200, which is absolutely ridiculous IMO, but I need the navigation for how much I travel. Ugh.

17. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

dude sprint is terrible. switch to AT&T, buy the 5 for 199 (plenty of places have it for 150 right now) and sell it when the 5s comes out.

Why pay 200 for a refurb 4s when you could have a new iPhone 5 on a much better network?

18. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

Honestly, given we are ~3 months out of the new iPhone, I would just use the old BB and wait it out. It won't change the cost of your data plan per month, so why not. When the new phone comes out you can use the money from selling your old one for parts to help pay for the new phone. (Though with this option, your private data should be a major concern, so unless there is a way you can get it off, I would not do that)

As far as the carrier switch goes, I would talk to friends or anyone with T-Mo on a 5 in your area and ask about how well it works. This will gauge what you can expect when the new iPhone comes out if you switch. Also if you are moving from sprint, if your line is the main line, one of the other lines becomes the primary line, so it shouldn't hurt things. Just be sure you know what your ETF is going to be.

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

Or just buy a used 4S via craigslist or gazelle's ebay store and resell it later. Beats re-upping your contract and limiting your options since you want to buy whatever is coming out later this year and may wish to switch carriers.

As for whatever new iphone comes out - given all the issues (real or imagined) that people seem to have with initial production in the past, I'd wait a month or two post release. Extra bonus is better choice of cases and such after a few weeks vs at launch.

20. dewthedru macrumors regular

i've got t-mobile on an ip5 and when i've got good signal (i.e. when i'm in a decently sized metro area) it's fantastic on 4G or LTE. when i'm between cities on the highway...edge speeds.

21. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Pay the $200 and get the replacement. You should be able to sell the 4S for near that amount when the 5S comes out anyway so you shouldn't be too much out of pocket. It's your phone - you use it frequently all day - don't skimp. ;)

22. N e e k thread starter macrumors 6502

My whole family (whopping 7 iPhones) was grandfathered into unlimited data on ATT, and believe me, I loved it... I was eligible to upgrade the 5, and I could've sold my 4S for $400 which would mean I would've made $200 profit, but, right before my dad wanted to switch. AT&T was an absolutely an outrageous amount of money per month.

----------

Right. I am probably going to do that.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

But if it is legit then why would it matter? Seems like you got screwed, unfortunately. :(