What do I do when Time Capsule is full?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Unconsoled, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Unconsoled macrumors regular

Just curious if there is a way to delete old backups. I don't need stuff from a year ago and I am starting to get close to filling up my TC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

Bury it in the backyard for future generations to find?

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

in theory the older backups should automatically be erased to make room for the new ones.

4. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

That's how I understand it. When Time Machine needs room to make a new backup, it will simply delete the oldest backup on record. So you shouldn't need to do anything.

5. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

i have a wd drive that i store movies and time machine backups. i didn't partition the drive, does this mean that time machine will start deleting my movies to make room for incoming backups.

6. Pixellated macrumors 65816

No. It will delete old Time Machine backups, not your movies.

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I don't know... making the Time Capsule into a time capsule sounds good to me :rolleyes:

8. Unconsoled thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I kinda thought that it would just keep making space but wasn't sure.

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The site is gone now that Apple updated their OS X page to Snow Leopard stuff, but here's what the Google cache has that may be relevant to you:

"Every hour, every day, an incremental backup of your Mac is made automatically as long as your backup drive is attached to your Mac. Time Machine saves the hourly backups for the past 24 hours, daily backups for the past month, and weekly backups for everything older than a month. Only files created and then deleted before the next hourly backup will not be included in the long term. Put another way: You’re well covered."

From: http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cach...ull&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a