What do i do with 2008 macbook pro 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidsanchez157, Jun 9, 2015.

1. davidsanchez157 macrumors newbie

davidsanchez157

Hi, I have a 2008 macbook pro. Its been a trooper for all these years, but slowly its been getting beat up. I need to buy a new disk drive, a new battery, and a new battery case. Oh and the track pad doesn't work.

What my question is, is what should I do with it? Is it worth buying the new parts? Should I just get something new? Should I sell it as is? The computer itself is working fine (other than I'm still on 10.5.8, so it also needs updating.. Which I can't do, because I have no disk drive!)

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

You can upgrade it, do a quick software search on how to create a bootable Yosemite USB drive. It's quite simple, works well, and all you need is a USB port. The model you have should support Yosemite.

It's amazing that you still have that model and it functions well. IIRC those are the models with the renown faulty GPUs? Do you have any noticeable graphical issues, even minor?

In any case, I feel it is always worth upgrading before selling a computer off to see if it still fits your usage and needs as those parts you purchase and always be repurposed and used in another computer.

Hope this helps!

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Max out the RAM if you haven't already, plop a cheap, small SSD in there, plug it into a large external drive or NAS and use it as a media server with remote keyboard and mouse.

4. davidsanchez157 thread starter macrumors newbie

davidsanchez157

I didn't know about the usb software I could download, so I'll definitely look into it. The computer itself runs almost flawless.
    The only problem is that since I don't have the right OS, I can't upgrade major plugins, ie my google music account. And large size mkv files run glitchy. But other than that, its in great shape.

I think I'll look into buying replacement parts, but I've never replaced a disk drive on any mac, so that makes me kinda nervous.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

A mac is just a regular PC in a pretty case that runs OS X. If you know how to change a hard drive in a regular Windows laptop, then you know how to change it in a MBP.

6. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

If I were you I would invest in a new Mac! It's what I did. I could spend 400$ for a used MBP 2010 logic board which had an old graphics card, old cpu and was connected to a 7200 rpm HDD and 6GB slow ram. It might last me a year or so but eventually I would have to upgrade again. Instead I spent 2400$ and got a retina display, a lot faster cpu, a lot faster graphics (Iris Pro 5200 is even more powerful than the GT330M), super fast SSD and 16GB of fast ram. Yes I paid more but I had to upgrade soon anyways.

7. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Hi David, I think were both using the same laptop!:)

My aging 2008 MBP has a cracked screen, swollen battery, semi functional track pad and a disc drive that works every now and then and a noisy 7200rpm HD. But it's been a workhorse and despite being dropped, spilled on and overheated several times over the years it just won't quit!

The only things I've done with mine is to max out the memory at 8Gb and update to the newest OS (Yosemite). I've been holding off putting any more money into a dying laptop, i.e. new battery and SSD, especially with the possibility of a new generation of 15"MBP's coming out so soon (this fall).

Putting in a new battery will probably fix your track pad woes if it's not working do to the battery swelling, as mine does. You can get an SSD for relatively cheap and their not too hard to put in (especially with the help of the folks here) and use a cheap USB disc drive in place of your Superdrive.

Since I'm used to my now crappy laptop I'm going to hold off at least until the fall, that is, unless it dies before then. Though they are great laptops (especially in comparison to what you and I have now) I'd rather not get a old 4th gen Haswell or even a 'getting to be old news' 5th gen Broadwell based laptop if there is any chance a new 6th gen Skylake MBP is coming.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I would get a new one you have reached the stage where any investment in your old computer is just not worth it. 7 years is a great return for any laptop and anything new will blow you away.

9. SilverRubicon macrumors member

Mine is still chugging along. The hinge is broken, the DVD drive started clicking (not that I ever used it), the battery is shot, and I have to use a USB wireless card. I have an SSD and 8gb of memory. It still does everything I need it to do and does it well. I still use it daily, still love it, and have debated whether to replace it. Thought about using a Lenovo T450s and Linux for the remainder of the year, but as a developer, OSX is hard to give up.

I ordered a 13" rMBP a couple of days back. Will be nice to lose 2lbs out of my messenger bag.

Yes, I'd put money on it being battery swelling.

10. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Every time I pickup my wife's 11" MacBook Air (feels like it's floating through air in comparison) it reminds me of how friggin' ships anchor heavy my 08' MBP is.

11. Kuro-sawa macrumors newbie

Kuro-sawa

My Screen is broken, but I maxed out to 8GB Ram and a 256 SSD. It´s fairly slow, the battery is down to 40 %. But I don´t know if I should get the new rMBPro 15´´ or just try to work on till its final day.

12. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

Kuro, if your depending on your aging laptop for school or work and it's hindering what you need to accomplish everyday then I'd say buy a new one. The 'updated' MBP's are great laptops, no doubt about it.

But, if your like me and have gotten used to putting up with your old laptop and are not having to depend on it for school or work, then continue to use it for just a few more months to see if all the rumors and news articles prove to be true.

13. Kuro-sawa macrumors newbie

Kuro-sawa

Thx @Codeseven for your advice.
    I´ll try to wait a little more time. Probably till November and hope rumors work out.

14. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I'd at least get the battery replaced because a swollen battery is actually a pretty big fire hazard.

15. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Not only that but if it bursts it'll corode all your internal components and destroy your laptop.