What do I do with my Apple Retail store gift card?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ZuroPxi, Jul 19, 2014.

1. ZuroPxi macrumors newbie

I will be buying an iPad soon with the back to school program where they give you a $50 Retail Store gift card on top of the student discount on the device.

Ideally, I would want that $50 to be off the device's price but I can't do that since I'm given the gift card AFTER the purchase. Do you know what can I do with it? I want to sell it but I've never done that before and I'm not sure about sites like ABCgiftcards where they will pay you for the gift card or give you Amazon credit for it. They offered me $47 in Amazon credit and $42 as a check. Amazon credit for me is actually awesome as I buy frequently from there but I've heard that the gift cards you get with the back to school program from Apple are a little different from the regular ones. Is this true? Will sites like ABC gift cards not accept it? Are sites like ABCgiftcards safe/legit? Any trusted alternative sites that have a good offer?

I looked at the accessories on the Apple store but nothing really interested me. Any ideas are appreciated.

2. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

You would probably get a quicker answer in the correct forum, this is the code sharing and software promo area. Just pointing it out.

3. dwfaust, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  4. ZuroPxi thread starter macrumors newbie

Do know where is the suitable forum for this?

----------

I'm almost sure its an Apple Retail Store gift card. Its whatever you get when buying an iPad with the back to college program. However, like I mentioned I'm not interested in the accessories that Apple sell 1. because the selection isn't very wide 2. they're overpriced. So do you know if I can sell it?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I always see them for sale on eBay at a discount from face value.

6. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Possibly buying tips and advice? I'm not trying to play mod, just pointing it out.

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

You could always give it to me… just saying.

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I would just keep it until you need it. It won't expire and it's not like you'll never buy an Apple product again.

9. scoblep macrumors newbie

I'd just say keep it until you need it for a new Mac, iPhone, iPad, or whatever. It's $50 I'd say it's not worth the fuss over selling it.

10. ablackfriday macrumors newbie

That's true. So did i.

11. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

Keep it until you want to purchase something else from Apple, selling it won't be worth the trouble. For a difference of $49 you can also protect your iPad's investment and purchase AppleCare+.

12. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

It's an Apple Store gift card instead of an iTunes gift card this year.