What do I do with the "Mobile Applications" folder now?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrMister111, Sep 15, 2017.

1. MrMister111, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017

MrMister111 macrumors 68020

After updating to iTunes 12.7 now apps are managed on iOS only, better in my opinion never understood why always having to update etc and store on my Mac. I know there is arguments for/against, just my preference,

So now they've gone, I understand old apps (ipa files, apps that aren't on App Store anymore) can be manually dragged to your iPad/iPhone and once connected dragged onto the device?

So does this mean I can now delete the "Mobile applications" folder now keeping a coulee of apps I want in a different location, to save up some space? do I just delete it? It's nearly 30Gb that don't need as such now?

thanks

2. Weaselboy, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon

You can delete it. I deleted mine. Sync no longer does anything with apps, and backups just list the app name (along with the apple ID it was bought with). Any restore will restore all your settings and data, including app data, but trigger a download of the apps from Apple. Best be on wifi at that point!

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... seems like that is how it will work. You would sure think the iTunes update would have deleted that folder or at least had a release note about it or something. That folder was using over 6GB on my MacBook.

5. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon

Ouch! Have you seen how many posts there are on all the forums about 12.7 no longer having an app tab? Can you imagine how many more there'd be if people's apps were deleted too?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Eh... it is pretty useless to have them. The only use case I can think of is if you have an ipa in there that is no longer on the app store you want to manually reinstall. Otherwise, the whole folder is wasted space. I could see just leaving it if it was a small amount, but 6GB is a lot and I don't even have that many apps compared to a lot of people.

Like I said, a release note or link to a KB article would have been nice.

7. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple should release a article for this definitely then. I have 30Gb in the folder.

So is it safe to just literally delete the folder in Finder? I'll backup somewhere the apps no longer on App store just in case though.

8. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

I'm glad that they didn't delete that folder. I haven't updated yet but I have a half dozen or so apps that are no longer available from the app store that I still use. iMame being one of them.