What do I get from a processor bump?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RolandVet, Jul 9, 2009.

1. RolandVet macrumors member

Hi
    I want to buy a new mac book pro. I was wondering how much profit I would get out of bumping my processor speed. I do a lot of movie encodig or however you call it. (How much faster would it go with a new processor?)

How fast a processor do I need to be able to watch 1080p movies natively on the screen (or what other specs)?
    And on a 24" external display?
    I'm wondering because on my current build I am not able to watch a 720p movie without the movie jamming every five seconds.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

Can you elaborate on what specs you have and what you're looking at? Otherwise, wild guesses would be the best that we can do.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're going to want more cores if you're going to lean toward encoding over raw clock speed.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

And you have what model now? Also, watching movies isn't encoding the files, it's more of decoding.

5. RolandVet thread starter macrumors member

I'm currently still running a +-7 year old pc.

It has a 2.0ghz processor (i would be scared to call it dual core think it's still single)
    512mb ram 333mhz
    64mb videocard

The video encoding won't be a too intensive. Just to recode it into a itunes compatible format.

6. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Not sure *you'd* see much profit out of a processor bump, but Apple will. ( higher price ) :D

I have two Macs I use to create/convert video for iPod use.

Macbook Pro - 2.4 Ghx Core2Duo 4 Gig Ram 1066 Mhz Front Side Bus

iMac - 2.4 Ghz Core2Duo 3 Gig Ram 667 Front Side Bus

Mainly use the iMac but both seem to handle the job fine.

I'm not surprised your 7 yr old PC is choking.

I have an old Windows PC - It's a Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz HT - and it often chokes as well - it screams for more RAM, but I refuse to put money into it. We have relegated it to 'light duty', the only thing it does these days is Monitor/Control an HF Communications Transmit/Receive System.

7. RolandVet thread starter macrumors member

ok...
    so i wont notice a difference between the 2.26 and the 3.06 ghz processor. Good to know :)

Thanks alot!

8. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

Really?

Hmmz..

Well, let's put it like this: if your encoding program is able to max out the cpu, the 3.06 will be 25% faster than the 2.26. That is a relevant difference in my book.

For displaying 1080p, anything will do. But if you do cpu intensive tasks, every increase in cpu speed will be noticeable.

9. RolandVet thread starter macrumors member

Ok that changes things..

My prog i am using at this moment does max out the cpu so i'm guessing it will also be able to do this on with the more powerfull cores.

Thanks alot again.

ps. just out of curiosity.
    my current pc is not able to move through coverflow of itunes without jamming up the music...

is this cpu related or ram related?

10. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I would agree with the above comments. You would notice a diff. b/w a 2.4ghz (which I have btw) and the 3.06, which is currently the fastest that Apple currently offers in the MBP line. I'm not sure how to quantify that, but if you search on the web you will find some benchmarks, I have seen them b4.

It all comes down to the balance of how much you can afford to spend and the time vs. how much power you really need. More is obviously better, especially if you are going to keep the machine for about 4-5 yrs or so.

Good luck with your decision.

11. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

If you do a lot of encoding perhaps you should consider loosing the portability of a Macbook and instead go with an iMac. You get bigger screen and a faster computer for the money.

12. oregon2 macrumors regular

EDIT: I agree with ^^^^^ him.

Honestly, I would either get base end and screw Apple and their upgrades, or just built your own PC. The base model Apple computers are an okay deal, but it seems any upgrades are way expensive and almost never worth it.

For truly fast video encoding, build a PC desktop with an i7, or if you must have OS X, buy a Mac Pro.

Any video encoding on a MacBook Pro is going to be really slow in comparison.

13. RolandVet thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys great reactions! Learned alot! :)

I have to keep the portability so i think i'll go with the 13" 'high' end. And maybe with the extra money I save on not getting a 17" (which i have not seen yet but guess is oversized since the 15" is :eek:) to buy a iMac (or hackintosh:apple:)

New question: :p
    Will I kill the warranty if i switch my 5400 rpm for a 7200 rpm harddrive? I think the ssd are too expensive but I like the speed/price inprovement from this upgrade!

Greets

14. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Changing the hard drive in Macbook Pros does not void your warranty.