What do I need.. DVI splitter? "KVM" switch? :S

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Andy348, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Andy348 macrumors 6502

I've got a 21" monitor ATM. It's got one DVI port at the back, which I'm currently using to power my Xbox 360 and my MacBook. I get really frustrated whenever I need to switch between the two because I need to go behind the monitor and undo one and plug in the other. I looked up to see if there was some sort of A/B switch that I could just hit a button and it'll go from 360 to MacBook but all the options are actual small boxes at around $100.

Is there a simpler/cheaper way to do this?

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes, you need a DVI KVM switch.

The simplest and least expensive one I found is this one, but you'll need to check the specifications carefully (particularly the monitor resolution), to make sure it will work for your needs. It uses either a USB connection for power or you use an external power supply (not included).

Here's another list (all under $100USD, but more expensive than the unit linked above).

Hope it helps. :)

3. Andy348 thread starter macrumors 6502

Perfect... but..

If I have a DVI cable plugged into my monitor and then on the other end of that cable two female DVI ports so I can plug in the MacBook and the 360, will it work? Like if I have my MacBook off and my 360 off and vice versa.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

You'd need the separate PSU to make it work, as you'd have to keep swapping the USB to the active system, and I don't know if the 360 even has a USB port :eek: (I've never looked at one, ever). That's why I mentioned the PSU "not included" part to you. ;)

They aren't expensive though. But read the user comments available on newegg. It's potentially a good source of information, as this inexpensive a product compared to the others, is bound to have some potential issues.

5. Mycatisbigfoot macrumors regular

That should work, Just have a small cable comming from the screen and the end a female dvi (DVD-i) and then have the 2 Male cables (laptop and crack box 360) and just plug and unplug when needed,

but does that screen take vga? as I know there is a plug to make the xbox have a vga end, HD is not everything, games are just comming down to graphics know adays, I rather the story of a game then the hd or the 1080 whats its