What do I need for Bittorrent downloads?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gaelinic, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Gaelinic macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm new to Mac and downloaded Transmission. Coming from a PC, it seems too simple to function so smoothly. But, I still have questions. On a PC, I used to use Azureus and Peerguardian. But, I'm at a loss as to what I need for a Mac.

1. Anyway, what settings should I have on Transmission?

2. Under Preferences, I checked the Blocklist box "Prevent known bad peers from connecting." Does this act like Peerguardian?

3. Should I download Peerguardian for the Mac? Is Transmision sufficient?

4. What other applications do you recommend?

Thanks.

Gaelinic

2. CSilver macrumors 6502

I recently switched to Mac as well. I used utorrent and Peerguardian on PC but I haven't downloaded anything related to torrents on my new Macbook yet. I don't plan on download anything heavy or hardcore on my Macbook so I guess I don't have an answer for you. But from what I heard, you only need the Transmission? I hope someone pro can help out here ;)
    -Chris-

3. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Why dont you use the same as you did before? Azuerez and peer guardian for mac??

4. jackellis macrumors newbie

not quite related but

ive tried using BitTorrent and it never gets past "looking for firewall" status..

Opera browser runs torrents and ive had some sucess with that

5. iaymnu macrumors 6502

I would try utorrent for mac.
    Transmission never let me connect properly.

6. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

That's the best thing about it, it's simple. Transmission is the same kind of BT app as µTorrent; small, simple and fast.

Depends on what you want. Look around the Preferences and see what you like.

Yes.

I have no idea though I have heard using them both is a little overkill.

You'll find most of the best apps here.

http://macupdate.com/hotpicks/

I also recommend WebKit.

7. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

+1 to transmission. It is drop-dead simple, and has never failed me. Get peerguardian if you really want; I have it, but am not really seeing much benefit from it.

I am REALLY surprised though that no one has come on here yet to scorn us all that "Torrents are the devil", and that "we aren't supposed to talk about piracy on here" :D

8. Gaelinic thread starter macrumors regular

Personally, I'm a Ninja guy myself.:D

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Because there are perfectly legitimate uses for bittorrent. Nobody's mentioned any illegal activity, and it should probably stay that way if you don't want the thread to get locked if past threads are any indication.

10. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

There is utorrent for mac...Personally, I use Azureus and I've compiled PG's list of blocked IP's into a .txt file and put it into Azureus, so it automatically blocks everything that PG does, without running 2 apps!

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ha ha, not to be accusatory but the majority of peeps on this forum that use these torrent softwares are using it for just that, pirating software. I just love it when people post about "Legitimate" reasons for using torrents. Like what? If you're downloading specific softwares like from the company you work for which could be considered "legit" there's no reason to care which torrent software is too complex or too simple. Also companies will have a private site for the employees to download softwares without the use of bittorrent.
    The average age level on MR is about 12-18, what legit reasons would one be downloading torrents for?

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

An educated guess maybe, but nothing more than that unless you can produce some hard numbers (which you can't).

How about downloading a Linux distribution?

Again, numbers?

13. stu3ufc macrumors member

just got utorrent lite for mac--- awsome

also transmission is very good too

these are the fastest--i felt aurleus was a bit slow

14. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

haha thats kinda my point. People will not make a peep of using it for anything illegal, yet there are still plenty of folks ready to jump down your throat for it. :rolleyes:

15. netsk8ter macrumors newbie

netsk8ter

Hello, i'm going to use this thread, hope you dont mind... i'm new on mac too. :p

I'm having a problem with my Transmission, its always failing...

i'm using version 1.5b should i use one that isnt beta?

cumps

16. netsk8ter macrumors newbie

netsk8ter

Sorry but i'm having a new problem, it appears this message

"Connection Limit exceeded"

Why is this happening?

cumps

17. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

I'm currently using 1.42 and it's running just fine, so you might want to downgrade for the time being.

18. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I've tried all of the torrent apps for OS X, and Vuze (even though it's UI isn't the best) has performed the best for me... Transmission coming in last. Also, make sure and download PeerGuardian. Just only select the P2P list for it to block, otherwise I've heard it can get kind of intrusive.

19. wh00pers macrumors newbie

the final version of transmission 1.5 should be out soon. :)

20. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Why do you need a peer guardian, as far as I know Linux and other legit software that is distributed through bittorrents aren't flooded with bad peers.

21. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Why not? It's just an easy safeguard. Especially if ever using torrents for music or video.

22. om3ga785 macrumors member

utorrent FTW.

simple interface, and you don't run into issue with your connection not being able to give you the green light status.

(assuming you have the proper port open on your router)

23. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Hehe, that's the only thing I ever hear people use as an example of a legitimate bittorrent. :)

…I suppose it makes no difference that any linux distros can be downloaded from a variety of websites (including sourceforge) directly.

24. breathesrain macrumors regular

One vote for Transmission- it runs well, even on this Tiger iBook G3 :D It's one of the better-designed programs I've used in my life, seriously- every once in a while I'll think of a feature I want and it's already tucked away somewhere in Transmission. I've screwed up a few downloads and Transmission has always recovered as best as possible. I can't figure out how to use the remote access part properly, though :(

25. damojag macrumors newbie

damojag

It's what works for you - I used uTorrent on the PC as it gave me the fastest service. I'm using Transmission on my Mac as it's simple (like uTorrent) and so far I've had no problems so I won't be trying any other torrent clients. Transmission offers a a bad peer update so I guess it's like a firewall of sorts.