Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
My parents requested me to to make a list of everything I need for college so they can start getting it all together. Im looking for the conventional and the unconventional.

Also, I would like a good recommendation for an inexpensive lightweight bike for transversing campus(ill be at OSU which is a very big campus).

Recommend and Advise away!

BTW, I have the computer part(most important) covered. MBpro is on its way.

Dandaman

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
soCal
FLIP FLOPS!!! :eek:

when getting bedding, it might be good to know what the bed sizes are. When I went to college, my school's dorms had extra long twin beds. I don't think the normal twin sizes worked.

yeah...I guess a good first step would be to see what is in the dorm you will be moving into. My freshman year dorm did not have a fridge or a/c unit, so my roommate and I needed to provide both.

daniel

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
First step - contact the school and find out what's already in the room (some dorms have refrigerators, desk lamps, etc already), and what you're not allowed to have (some schools will allow things like george foreman grills, others won't).

Also find out if the dorm is air conditioned - if not, a good fan is a must (assuming that it will be warm at least in September, April and May) - particularly.

Don't forget basic office supplies, like a stapler, tape, and envelopes. A good desk lamp or some form of task lighting is important as well.

I'll let other people think of more stuff...

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Um, remember lamps, (reading and otherwise) roommates (if you have them) will not want the big lights on if you have an eariler class than them (I know, I spent months using a flashlight)

Get towels that have a velcro waistband (so that it doesn't somehow come off coming back from the bathroom, first hand experience)

If the room is big enough, think about room divider. (one that can be opened an shut like a expandable thing you would change behind (hey, sometimes it nice to break it up a bit (especially if you have homework late into the night and roommates are trying to sleep.

Remember a fan. Those rooms can get STUFFY

Some sort of iron for clothes, I sent out everything to dry cleaning including socks and underwear, but some people like to iron.

Some sort of cleaning things, dust and other unmentionables can get pretty bad, or just get a local maid service to come clean everything, I did that twice a week, it was only like $50 each time.

Get some cool posters for the walls

My mom got me a safe to put things in. It turned out my room mates (yes 2 :eek: did steal, one of which was a best friend previously)

You really don't know all that you need until you get there. Make sure you don't go in being too friendly. You'll end up having people over all the time that take advantage of you and your things if you are too nice. (note, I didn't say to be prick either).

Bring a TV

Know if there is a phone in the room

Necessary cables for the internet and TV

earplugs

night mask - hey, I laughed too

bring a lot of patience, honesty, and an eagarness to succeed. :cool:

Good luck

Oh yeah, I should mention the bike that everyone is crazy about (came out like a year or so ago is the ixi) google it. Fits anywhere, apple-ish design.

Dynamyk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2005
Toronto
Search button is always good ;)

But

I live off rez in an apartment and I can't do without:

Alarm Clock
Laundry Hamper
Small Set of Speakers (No Sub most rez's don't allow it)
Xbox ;) or Ps2 if u want lol - something to relax with
Beddings
Extra Pillows
A good lamp

I'll think of more soon.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
WildCowboy said:
See this thread for some ideas...
hee hee the thead I made a little over a month ago that I just bump back to the top. I was wondering with the question was going to pop up. Because I know the guy not going to read it I going to past the first post here that was updated on 2-02-06

Things you are going to want.
A new computer Not your parents old computer, rather one that is less than 1 year old and is at least a middle of the road one.

Ethernet cable CAT-5

A printer. I would recommend getting one of the "all in ones" out there (Printer scanner copier). I find my self scanning and copying something more often than I originally thought I would.

Flash drive (256 megs at least. The iPod is not going to cover this job you will want the flash stick and one that can go on a keychain)

A Cell phone. It will be you primary way of contacting other people and most numbers will be long distance to call since they are all cells from their home towns

3 ring binders for each class. It a good way to keep all your notes and hand outs in one location and easy to fine.

3 hole punch (need it to go with the binder)

Some type of planner (I use a Palm Pilot for mine to keep track of meeting and homework and what not)

Paper and spiral note books. Milk crate or 2 for storing and transporting stuff up. (make a good end table if stacked)

Hamper for dirty clothing.

Some sliverware, plates and a few bowls (you will eat some in your room and you will want them)

DUCT TAPE

Some type of daily planner organiser (my Palm Pilot covers that for me. An no you laptop can not cover this job. You need a PDA, Palm Pilot or a daily planner thing. Most people go with the planner)

Alarm clock

Portable music player because it's nice just to listen to music without disturbing others. Heck I use mine all the time while studing in my room and I dont have a roommate. It just easier to studing with them for me.

A good desk lamp.

A microwave: To warm up leftovers, snacks, etc.

Cheap digital camera: for all your college memories

Things not to bring
A lot of personal reading books. They just take up space and you will not have the time to read them.

All your DVDs and movies same as above

Tons of little things from home. Bring just maybe a few items but no more than 4 or 5

Stereo System (you dont have the room and you computer can cover it)

Surround sound system (space limitation)

Things to contact you room-mate about

Mini Fridge

TV (also you dont really need a TV. I hardly watch mine any more.)

Can anyone think of other stuff to add to this list. I see way too many freshmen in for rude awakening when they come to school where they have too much stuff up here for their room and not enough stuff for school and they have trouble adjusting to it. Figure putting together a list like this is helpful.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Please don't bump your own thread that's already been linked...and then paste the first post from that thread into another thread. A bit of overkill, don't you think?

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
Something for entertainment. It can get very boring sometimes. DVDs, books, games. And bring courage if anything. Meeting new people is a must.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
ieani said:
My parents requested me to to make a list of everything I need for college so they can start getting it all together. Im looking for the conventional and the unconventional.

Also, I would like a good recommendation for an inexpensive lightweight bike for transversing campus(ill be at OSU which is a very big campus).

Recommend and Advise away!

BTW, I have the computer part(most important) covered. MBpro is on its way.

When are you going to be down there??

Cause i am actually moving into the dorms this coming spring quarter...Unfortunantly. It not that i dont like people its just that i like space and the dorms are really small.

And if you dont mind me prying have you gotten your hall and room assignments yet?

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
WildCowboy said:
Please don't bump your own thread that's already been linked...and then paste the first post from that thread into another thread. A bit of overkill, don't you think?
not really.
it one of those few threads that could use some updating from everyone.

Besides even if I didnt start that tread I would of bump it after it was linked because it is one of those threads. Plus it has a lot of infomation in it that is not in the first post that I did add to it. Heck this one could more than likely be . lock and everything moved over to the oringal thread on the topic.

Heck I was planning on bumping that one to the top in the middle of apirl no matter what and then again some time closer to the start of the next school year.

Compatiblepoker

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2006
Jacksonville Beach
I just graduated college and personally would also recommend not staying in a dorm if you dont have to. I'd rather bathe in my own pee than live in a dorm. SOme are really gross but I guess others are ok.

Bring- Plenty of disposable cups, forks, etc.
- Ear muffs if you want to ever sleep
- Most importantly bring patience.

You will find that when you first start college that you have to do every 3 times. If you put in an application for something just remember you probably have to resubmit it another 3 times before it goes through.

Oh yeah, bring a deck of cards and some poker chips. Its how I funded my way through college. :)

Roger

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
Dynamyk said:
Xbox ;) or Ps2 if u want lol - something to relax with

My XBOX has to stay home. I wont have a TV for it and its fine since its not very relaxing for me. Online Halo 2 tends to flare up my temper.

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
Compatiblepoker said:
I just graduated college and personally would also recommend not staying in a dorm if you dont have to. I'd rather bathe in my own pee than live in a dorm. SOme are really gross but I guess others are ok.

Bring- Plenty of disposable cups, forks, etc.
- Ear muffs if you want to ever sleep
- Most importantly bring patience.

You will find that when you first start college that you have to do every 3 times. If you put in an application for something just remember you probably have to resubmit it another 3 times before it goes through.

Roger

Its mandatory for me to stay in a dorm if Im not a commuter. Second year I should be out of there unless I can be an RA and get to stay free.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Timepass said:
Heck I was planning on bumping that one to the top in the middle of apirl no matter what and then again some time closer to the start of the next school year.

You PLAN these things? No offence, but maybe you take these boards a little too seriously? Do you have iCal appointments made up for April and August? Seriously no offence :D :cool:

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
prostuff1 said:
Actually at OSU you dont really need them. They have this thing called a Buck ID and you can use that to do your laundry. Just swipe the card and it takes money off of it for the laundry machines.

but that also requires you putting money on them. We have something like that at Texas Tech and a lot of us dont bother using it and just use quarters. Not enough place take Tech express and the only place where I would use it that dont take another form of plastic is laundry. So I just use quarters for that. I would say use quarters and just make sure you have some form of plastic to cover everything else (that plasitic can be a check card or a creited card)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.