What do I need? I think it's some type of remote software maybe.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dloreski, Oct 29, 2012.

1. dloreski macrumors member

Hi everyone.
    Here is my problem.....
    I have an app on my MBP that sends me email alerts, so my MBP stays on at home 24/7. This way when I'm away for 1-2 weeks, I can mostly work from my iPhone.
    Sometimes mail hangs up and I need to re-enter my password and my emails stop coming to me until this is done.
    When I travel, I always have my MBA with me too.
    Would I be able to use some type of remote access software to enter this information while out of town and get my mail working again?
    If so, which is the easiest to use for this?
    Thanks!

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I use logmein (free edition) to log into my home iMac from my MBA when traveling. I also installed it on a bunch of friends for whom I am the "computer expert"... so I can log into their machines and walk them through problems.

/Jim

3. dloreski thread starter macrumors member

Wow does that work easy!
    Perfect. Thank you!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I was going to list Teamview as well... but I could not remember the name... and I knew you would respond. ;)

I use Logmein because that is what I started with... and my friends/family who rely on me for tech support already have it installed. I trust you that Teamview is also a good program.

/Jim

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

LogMeIn is also a valid option. I've used TeamViewer pretty much daily for years to support Mac and Windows PC users.