What do I need to connect a Mac Pro to a non Apple display?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ravich, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

Since the Mac Pro still doesnt have HDMI (even the Mac Mini has it. What the hell Apple?), what do I need in order to connect it to a non Apple display?

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

a display cable?

mac pro has dvi out, if you need hdmi then get a dvi>hdmi converter for like 5 bucks

3. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay. Can I still be angry that the Mac Pro still doesnt have HDMI? Can we talk about reasons that a professional user might need it in this thread?

4. goMac macrumors 603

I don't think there are any reasons. DVI and HDMI are the exact same thing, just different plug shapes. Get a cheap adaptor = problem solved.

I'm really never entirely sure why people complain about HDMI.

5. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I don't get the HDMI complaints either. What "professional" uses are there for HDMI? And can't that be added on with third party hardware?

6. eponym macrumors 6502

No?

It has nothing to do with "pro users" and getting "pro" quality signals. HDMI is simply DVI with digital audio—both of which you get out of a Mac Pro. Plus the higher bandwidth, complementary DisplayPort.

7. goMac macrumors 603

You might hook up to a TV to preview video output. But again, DVI and HDMI are the same thing. So consumer or professional, I really don't get what the deal is. I have a DVI-HDMI cable at home that was like $10.

8. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

I've got a 30 inch Dell hooked up via dual-link DVI. Standard cable came with the monitor and the Mac Pro already had Dual-link DVI. I'm not sure if all the video cards come with Dual-Link, though.

I think HDMI is widely considered a consumer connection. Blackmagic makes a cheap HDMI i/o card, I think.

9. goMac macrumors 603

Yeah, really you'd only want the Blackmagic card for input...

HDMI exists because the DVI plug was too large and clunky for consumers, so they took DVI and reduced the size of the plug. That's why they're the same thing but yet different connections. They just redesigned the DVI plug so you didn't have to screw it in or anything.