What Do I Need To Connect My MacBook To My LCD TV?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SamIchi, Apr 14, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Just got a new 40" LCD TV, and it has a "PC in" so I'm assuming I can connect. Can I connect it? If so what cable would I need. Would I be able to watch videos from my MB on the big screen? That would be awesome, thanks guys :D

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

What kind of connection is on the TV? If it's DVI, then all you'd need would be the adapter for a DVI conection on the MacBook.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Sounds like it would either be a DVI input or a VGA input.

If it's a DVI, then you need a DVI cable

If it's a VGA, then you can use the DVI-VGA converter that came with your laptop, and then a VGA cable to connect to the TV

4. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

The manual says I need a D-sub cable to connect them. Along with a audio cable. PC Connection is not supported by HDMI/DVI. :confused:

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

6. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

What's the difference between what polishmacuser, and what balamw listed? Which is better?

Thanks guys!

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you want the dvi-->vga. it'll give you the best quality.

8. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Thanks for the help. I'll try to find one tomorrow at the apple store.

9. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

For a second I thought this was about to be a joke!:D ;)

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

More specifically, it'll let you have higher resolution and better color separation than the video cable. In some cases for low-res video that might actually look worse than using the TV's built-in scaler.

If you want to use the TV for more than just video and maybe pictures, stick with the VGA.

B

11. robPOD macrumors 6502

Hi guys Im in the same boat as the OP, I would like to know how to connect my Macbook to my Tv via the red, white and yellow plugs.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Then, you need a composite video adapter like this one.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E099&nplm=M9319G/A

The yellow goes to the plug on this adapter, the red and white audio go to your headphone jack using a standard 3.5 mm to RCA adapter. Like this, but without the yellow plug.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=6C04E0B8&nplm=M9765G/B

B

13. robPOD macrumors 6502

thanks balamw I will order it tomorrow and I think I have one of those headphone sound cables lying around somewhere.

14. zams27 macrumors newbie

Need Help connecting

Hi Guys...am new to the Mac family...so bare with me. Ive got the 09 Macbook which has the mini display port and i have a viewsonic 32" which i am tryin to connect to the mac...yesterday i got the miniport to dvi adapter from the apple store along with the dvi to hdmi cable...my TV has one hdmi port...after connecting all the cables , the TV only shows my background whats on the mac and nothing else even if i open itunes it still shows only the background on my TV... what am i doing wrong

Here is the link to the Viewsonic HDTV I own http://www.viewsonic.com/products/n3252w.htm

15. kasakka macrumors 65816

It's not mirrored and it shouldn't be because of the different resolution to the MBP display. The MBP sees the HDTV as an extended desktop, so you can just drag the window of any video player etc to the HDTV screen. Most video players have the option to choose which device is used for fullscreen playback.

16. jshelton macrumors 6502a

Netflix or iTunes movies from MBP to 50" LCD

If I connect my Macbook Pro to my 50" LCD TV, can I play movies from the Netflix website? Does the quality look the same on the TV as it would on the computer, or will it be skewed?

Thanks.

17. kasakka macrumors 65816

Yes, you can. As long as the Netflix videos are good quality they should look the same. Obviously the 50" size and 1080p resolution will not be that great for DVD quality movies but that's true no matter what the input source is.

18. jshelton macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

19. jshelton macrumors 6502a

Can you elaborate on this? I am struggling when it comes to resolutions, ratios, etc.

Thanks.