What do I need to do before I jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by 25Siel, Jul 6, 2011.

1. 25Siel macrumors newbie

I have never jail broken anything and am wondering what all needs to be done before I jailbreak. I understand you should back up in iTunes and use tiny umbrella. Is there anything else? Also is there a guide to restoring from both of these backups? Thanks

2. DN7335 macrumors 6502

After you backup in iTunes and store your SHSH with Tiny Umbrella, you would update to 4.3.3 if you haven't already, then you're ready to go.

3. 25Siel thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks! My iPad came with 4.3.3 so I think I'm good to go :)
    The is the iTunes backup just the simple one that happends automatically right?

4. AceCoolie macrumors regular

I'm a little confused about the backups. I right clicked on my device in itunes and told it to do a backup. Then I performed the jailbreak. When I synced my device with itunes again, it did another backup.

Did the backup of the jailbroken device clobber the previous one? My understanding is that if I click the restore on the summary page, that re-installs 4.3.3 from apple and make the device like new. If I right click on the device and select restore from backup, that restores the device to the point of the last backup. Is that correct?

I'm new to the jailbreaking scene and hope I've got a valid backup that I can use to undo the jailbreak if needed.