What do I need to do to charge for an online service?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mrzeve, Jan 2, 2009.

  1. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

    Jan 25, 2005
    Hey guys,

    So I'm beginning to run an online website where users will have to pay for their organizations to use it.

    Are there any kind of tax issues, do I need to establish as an LLC, Inc, etc?

    Just want to make sure I have everything in order so when I start pulling in cash I don't shoot my self in the foot.

  2. DipDog3 macrumors 65816


    Sep 20, 2002
    Talk to a lawyer?
  3. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000


    Dec 7, 2007
    Alexandria, VA, USA
    Excellent advice.

    But do a little research first, to find out the following before talking to a lawyer or using business sites to help you start one up:

    1) Make sure you contact your city, county, and state to see what you
    need in terms of LICENSES to sell your specific product(s). In some states, selling intellectual property requires none. But it varies from state to state.

    Note: You could do this on your own, it's not hard, but if you want to save time, not money, visit Bizfiling.com and pay $75.00 to use one of it's services which searches out all licenses you'll need based on product/location.

    2) Determine how many employees or trusts you will have
    3) Determine if you need stock options
    4) Who will be the registered agent ( for tax notices, and annual filing notices) - usually you, but could be your accountant

    Then talk to your lawyer who to work out if you should be LLC or not and the advantages and drawbacks of filing in Nevada or Deleware to save money on taxes vs. your home state.


Share This Page