What do I need to do to prepare a new macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Matbookpro, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Matbookpro macrumors member

I'm recieving my first macbook pro next week.

I am about to order a Hitachi 7k500 or seagate momentus Xt (please help me choose here

It will probably be the first thing I do when I recieve my macbook pro(if I have the patience to not start doing things on it).

Do I start it up first or just immediatly change it. And do I have to back it up even if I haven't done anything on it yet? or will I otherwise lose stuff? please just some advice, and if I do have to back it up, what program should I use?

2. KirkL macrumors 6502

3. Matbookpro thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I saw that, but what I meant was how do I prepare it for the new HD so that It's the same as the old one. So I won't lose al the default software.

4. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

You can do a few different things:

1. Re-install yourself. The new MacBook comes with Snow Leopard and iLife installed. Both disks are included with the machine, and it won't take you more than 30-40 minutes to install it yourself. So after you install the drive, insert the SL installation disk, hold C when booting, and start the installation.

2. Clone the stock drive. With apps like Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) you can make a 1-on-1 clone of the disk, and simply swap them afterwards. You do need something like an HD dock to hook up the new drive though so you can create this clone.

3. Use Time Machine. You can create a backup using Time Machine of the original drive. Then install the new one and choose for a Time Machine restore during the installation.

Since it's nothing but a blank drive with a default installation of SL & iLife, save yourself the trouble of 2. and 3. and simply do a new installation. In the end it will probably take you less time as well. Good luck.

5. Matbookpro thread starter macrumors member

thanks, I'll probably be doing 1.

Could someone just confirm for me that all new macs come with just mac ow and iLife installed?