Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have a 2017 iMac 17" with 32MB of RAM. Do I need to increase RAM to 64MB or do I need an iMac Pro?
None of these things are needed to prevent your mouse from jumping around. The mouse would track smoothly even with a 20 year old Mac if everything is working properly.
There are a number of potential causes:
-It could be the surface where you use the mouse.
-If you have a wireless mouse, it could be interference from other electronic devices. In particular, USB 3.0 devices like external disks can cause this. Test by unplugging the USB devices.
-If it's a wired mouse, the cord could be failing.

Reactions: Sal Collaziano

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Hit the little rotter with a hammer! And I take it you have 32GB of memory, hardly 32MB?

Also check the settings in System Preferences and change them faster/slower etc. until satisfied. Sounds like it is set too fast.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
I have a 2017 iMac 17" with 32MB of RAM. Do I need to increase RAM to 64MB or do I need an iMac Pro?

Buy an iMac PRO to remedy a jumping mouse? Are you kidding? Even the cheapest, lowest end computer on the planet should be able to handle a mouse smoothly. Heck… even computers from 25 years ago where able to handle a rodent properly.

Just try another mouse (preferably with a cord) and/or use a good mouse mat and/or check your mouse settings and/or send your jumpy murine to a bar for a long therapy session with a genius (take your pick and not necessarily in that order).

RAM or an iMac pro has nothing to do with it. The most likely suspect is the damned vermin itself.

Last edited:

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
A jumping mouse is often due to the CPU being busy with something. Use the Activity Monitor utility to see what processes are hogging the CPU. In which case a more powerful computer may help, or fix the app thats hogging the computer (perhaps by restart or reinstall). If its bouncing when no apps are running, then as above... bad mouse, bad cable, interference.... restart.. bad computer hardware... etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.