What do I need to do to stop the mouse from jumping around?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sal Collaziano, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Sal Collaziano, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018

Sal Collaziano macrumors regular

I have a 2017 iMac 17" with 32GB of RAM. Do I need to increase RAM to 64GB or do I need an iMac Pro?

2. chrfr macrumors 604

None of these things are needed to prevent your mouse from jumping around. The mouse would track smoothly even with a 20 year old Mac if everything is working properly.
    There are a number of potential causes:
    -It could be the surface where you use the mouse.
    -If you have a wireless mouse, it could be interference from other electronic devices. In particular, USB 3.0 devices like external disks can cause this. Test by unplugging the USB devices.
    -If it's a wired mouse, the cord could be failing.

3. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 68000

nambuccaheadsau

Hit the little rotter with a hammer! And I take it you have 32GB of memory, hardly 32MB?

Also check the settings in System Preferences and change them faster/slower etc. until satisfied. Sounds like it is set too fast.

4. AndyMacAndMic, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018

AndyMacAndMic macrumors 6502

AndyMacAndMic

Buy an iMac PRO to remedy a jumping mouse? Are you kidding? Even the cheapest, lowest end computer on the planet should be able to handle a mouse smoothly. Heck… even computers from 25 years ago where able to handle a rodent properly.

Just try another mouse (preferably with a cord) and/or use a good mouse mat and/or check your mouse settings and/or send your jumpy murine to a bar for a long therapy session with a genius (take your pick and not necessarily in that order).

RAM or an iMac pro has nothing to do with it. The most likely suspect is the damned vermin itself.

5. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Cruel! Put a teapot on it.

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

A jumping mouse is often due to the CPU being busy with something. Use the Activity Monitor utility to see what processes are hogging the CPU. In which case a more powerful computer may help, or fix the app thats hogging the computer (perhaps by restart or reinstall). If its bouncing when no apps are running, then as above... bad mouse, bad cable, interference.... restart.. bad computer hardware... etc.

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

8. Sal Collaziano thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses everyone. The trouble is with my USB 3.0 external disk. I have it under control now...